excal problems.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, i am having problems with my excal and i have seen others post the same symptoms. when water salt or fresh hits the bottom of the pod and then anywhere on the pod up to being submerged it goes crazy. after being submerged or completely out of the water its fine!!!!!! i tried some adjusting of sens and threshhold but cannot adjust it out. any ideas?????

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
ok, i am having problems with my excal and i have seen others post the same symptoms. when water salt or fresh hits the bottom of the pod and then anywhere on the pod up to being submerged it goes crazy. after being submerged or completely out of the water its fine!!!!!! i tried some adjusting of sens and threshhold but cannot adjust it out. any ideas?????

Your not clear on where your problem is. What pod do you mean, battery pod, control pod?

Is your coil wrapped and tied all the way to the controls, or does any part of it swing in the breeze?

Are you hunting with the stock coil or a spliced coil, if spliced does the problem appear at point of splice?

I have two Excals, both have custom spliced coils, neither have your problem, only when hunting in the froth of the surf as it rolls ashore is it unstable and that is normal......

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry.......now that you have asked, battery pod or control pod i cant say one way or the other because they are both right next to each other.

coil wire is secured to shaft.

its the spliced 10 by 12 sef coil but i do not suspect the splice to be the problem. if it was a bad splice it would act up when underwater which it does not.

please explain the instability in the froth further. are you talking about as the surf rolls across the coil?
i think i may call minelab and talk to a technician.

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
someone else has said they have the same problems and when they do they hunt in pinpoint mode and it stops! i can do that also, but should i have to?!
so what are we experiencing? do we all have bad excals that are not operating properly?

excal/pirate

Jan 28, 2009
seeker41 said:
someone else has said they have the same problems and when they do they hunt in pinpoint mode and it stops! i can do that also, but should i have to?!
so what are we experiencing? do we all have bad excals that are not operating properly?
read tony from fla message i listed alot of problems check it out may help you also i see that it works fine in all metal so its not your coil most of the time id say its the battery seal

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
try disconnecting your battery.. and looking for the smallest droplets of water "Inside it" First..

I have seen this happen several times.. look for cracks in the Pod..

are your connections "Clean" with a lil silicone grease on the threads..

You want to do as Pockets says and check the batter pod. I know a hunter who cracked his battery pod, then sealed it with silicone glue....It leaked again while he was in the water, and shorted out his Excal, now he has to send it in for repairs the water in the pod messed up the Excal....

Put some silicone grease on the threads of the pod, it worked for me....

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone!!! well, i tested it at the lake today and isolated each suspect part. dipped the battery pod in and out of the water :icon_thumright: dipped the control pod :icon_thumright: dipped the wire in and >:( the splice is bad, some of the plasti dip is wearing off of my cable and water must be getting in.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
thanks everyone!!! well, i tested it at the lake today and isolated each suspect part. dipped the battery pod in and out of the water :icon_thumright: dipped the control pod :icon_thumright: dipped the wire in and >:( the splice is bad, some of the plasti dip is wearing off of my cable and water must be getting in.

Hard to believe the Plasti-dip is pealing off, I have used my excal many times and not a spec of plasti-dip pealing....

Question, when you did the splice, did you cover the splice first with heat shrink, and cover the heat shrink with liquid tape? I covered mine with two seperate pieces of heat shrink, last piece being longer then the first piece so one was basically inside the other, both pieces of heat shrink were covered with several coats of liquid tape, then the splice was covered with 5 coats of plast-dip.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread