Excal repair update

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Here is an update for all who are thinking of sending in your excals for repair. Spoke with them yesterday about the excal that I had sent in and they had received on July 2nd.
Seems that it will take a minimum of 40, yes that is 40 WORKING DAYS before someone will even get around to open the box to see what is wrong and then who knows how long to call, fix the unit and get it in the mail :dontknow:
Now don't get me wrong-the excal is a great machine but in order to hunt like we do down here in FL one machine just will not stand up to constant use and that is why I have 3 of them. It just seems a shame that when you pay over $1000 for a detector that they can't be made to keep running a while or if not get repaired in less than a couple of months.
Garrett, Whites and Fisher can do it in a few weeks-what is wrong with Minelab? I really don't need to hear that crap that they are behind because of the confusion of moving the operation from NV to IL because I sent mine to NV and that is where it is being repaired.
And the BEST PART....when you call you get "Welcome to Minelab where we make the best detectors in the world" They should also add "But they are the most expensive, we can't keep them running and if you need them repaired-GOOD LUCK" >:(

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Errik,

You never know who reads these forums, I think you will be taken care of.

ken(Toronto) said:
One easy way to solve this problem: STOP buying their machines!!
When a company gives poor service like that, it means ONLY one thing....they don't need your business, they have too much already!

IMHO

Ken

Tesoro has been saying the water proof connectors will be resolved very soon for over a year now, with still no resolution.

I had to ship my Whites Beach Hunter ID in twice for leaks while under warranty, I complained about it and still had to pay for the shipping. I was told the problem was most likely my fault for not closing the door properly, which was a crock. Even after Whites admitted at last that they had a problem with the gaskets I got no refund or apology. I sold the BHID and bought my first Sovereign GT, and a used Excal......

Haven't regretted it yet....

Personally, I will still buy another Minelab when I find the need....

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
Lemme update my Update here too... Hope ya don't mind me sharing on your post Erikk. :thumbsup:

After receiving my Excal back from Minelab... Some of you Know that I've been waiting several months in order to get it fixed and returned to me..

I received it last week.... So, I scheduled a trip for a several days to do some hunting.and to test her out... I Just got in..

MY MACHINE IS STILL "MESSED-UP" and has to GO BACK TO MINELAB.........
Un-freaking believable.... I'll pick my jaw up off the floor now...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Errik,

ken(Toronto) said:
When a company gives poor service like that, it means ONLY one thing....they don't need your business, they have too much already!

IMHO

Ken

Tesoro has been saying the water proof connectors will be resolved very soon for over a year now, with still no resolution.

I had to ship my Whites Beach Hunter ID in twice for leaks while under warranty, I complained about it and still had to pay for the shipping. I was told the problem was most likely my fault for not closing the door properly, which was a crock. Even after Whites admitted at last that they had a problem with the gaskets I got no refund or apology. I sold the BHID and bought my first Sovereign GT, and a used Excal......

You obviously have not had to deal with the service department, OR, you can afford so many machines that if one breaks down, you could care less if it takes 90 days to get it back....
That wouldnt be the case for about 99% of us though..

Jack Straw

Jun 24, 2010
PA/UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I was wandering around the topics here (new to T-net) to find a place to ask for advice on the purchase of a waterproof unit....looks like a whites for me.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
So how hard is it to remove the knobs? Wouldn't mind doing that before they break on me. HH John

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta say what I read is PITIFUL. How can a company like this not stand behind their product. :icon_scratch: What still amazes me more is how everyone says ya gotta get an Excal. I just don't get it... If I need to send my old Whites 550/d coinmaster from days gone by I know they can fix it and get it back to me promptly. Dammit man just send me a new one if you can't fix mine in a timely manner. I would be outta business if I operated like that!!! :icon_scratch:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S.S.Tupperware said:
I gotta say what I read is PITIFUL. How can a company like this not stand behind their product. :icon_scratch: What still amazes me more is how everyone says ya gotta get an Excal. I just don't get it... If I need to send my old Whites 550/d coinmaster from days gone by I know they can fix it and get it back to me promptly. Dammit man just send me a new one if you can't fix mine in a timely manner. I would be outta business if I operated like that!!! :icon_scratch:

amen any other real buisness would go down the drain

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Errik,

ken(Toronto) said:

IMHO

Ken

LOL ofcourse it was your fault TH your just way to ruff with your toys man :laughing9:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you thought you had problems? I sent mine on June 28th to NV. Not knowing they would send it to Il. It's been almost two month. Got a call last week that they would be on the table in two weeks, this week coming? I found out that they only have 2 techs working on our machines. Go figure! I don't know how compentent or knowledgeable they are? I haven't even got a estament on what it's going to cost. This is a very disturbing trend there doing. There's no number to call in Il. Why? You can't even talk to a tech. I guess a CLERK in NV will call and rely the prognosis. NOW WHAT? :dontknow:

vegemite

Jan 21, 2008
West Aust.
Detector(s) used
White's: MXT,V3i Minelab: Excalibur 1k
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ken(Toronto) said:

IMHO

Ken

There is another way... email or send a link relating to this board to every minelab dealer/ distributor you can locate on the net.
Once the word gets out I'm sure the pressure applied will reduce the turn around time in repairs.

vegemite

Jan 21, 2008
West Aust.
Detector(s) used
White's: MXT,V3i Minelab: Excalibur 1k
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldgold

Oct 16, 2003
Arkansas-USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500/ACE 250-Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a real shame. I'm looking to move to Florida as I have been out of work for over a year. I'm a electronic technician ( military trained) with 20 years experience in the semiconductor industry. I also am trained as a high vacuum technician and i know a lot about o rings and seals. I may just start a business repairing these machines. Let me know how many people would be interested.

OP
OP
erikk

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
oldgold said:
This is a real shame. I'm looking to move to Florida as I have been out of work for over a year. I'm a electronic technician ( military trained) with 20 years experience in the semiconductor industry. I also am trained as a high vacuum technician and i know a lot about o rings and seals. I may just start a business repairing these machines. Let me know how many people would be interested.

U got to be kidding....RIGHT Take a guess how many excals R in Fl ( I have 3) but U gotta be able to do boards 2

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
oldgold said:

U got to be kidding....RIGHT Take a guess how many excals R in Fl ( I have 3) but U gotta be able to do boards 2

great idea!!! i would even come work for you, pm me!!(21 years soldering/assembly experience) BUT!........., minelab will not sell any parts and or components that involve opening up the control box! unless you could sweet-talk them into making you a "authorized service center" but from what I'm seeing they are not smart enough to do this.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ran across this post and I am going to add my own rant to it now. I sent my machine in Feb. guess when I got it back, May. On top of that I had sent them a copy of my extended warranty with my letter of the problems I was having. When they called I was out of town taking care of my dad, and they informed me that it was not under warranty and they had no extended warranty info on it and if I could send it to them again. I was out of town and as soon as I got back I sent it to them, two weeks go buy and I left several messages, even contacted the head honcho and he told me he would have someone check on it and I would get a call that day. Another week goes by, and I contact him again, he was floored that no one called me back and again said someone would contact me shortly. Another week goes by and out of the blue someone calls me regarding one of the original messages I left a month earlier, when I explained to her everything else she said she would check and call me back. Never heard a word back. The machine showed up a few days later though. However 2 weeks into sending the machine I broke down and brought a new excal because I love the machine so much. (this was during the time when no dealers had excals in stock) I searched the country and for one and then started searching Canada, where I did locate a dealer with one in stock. So I was a happy camper, and thank God I got the new machine as long as it took them to get my machine back to me. Well today I got to the beach turned on the New machine and whaaaaa bing beep it sounded like a telegraph machine. Crap!(at lest I brought my sov and the day was not a total loss) The new machine will have to go back to minelab now, and no telling when I will see it again. I will tell you this...I will not buy another excal! As much as I find with the machine and as much as I love it, I will not continue to deal with a company that has new machines fritzing out, and lousy lousy customer service. Seriously I believe minelab needs to start selling parts and allowing others to work on them. So anyone looking for an excal let me know God only knows when it will come back from repair, but it will be up for sale. Someone invent a new water machine Please!

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
txkickergirl said:
I just ran across this post and I am going to add my own rant to it now. I sent my machine in Feb. guess when I got it back, May. On top of that I had sent them a copy of my extended warranty with my letter of the problems I was having. When they called I was out of town taking care of my dad, and they informed me that it was not under warranty and they had no extended warranty info on it and if I could send it to them again. I was out of town and as soon as I got back I sent it to them, two weeks go buy and I left several messages, even contacted the head honcho and he told me he would have someone check on it and I would get a call that day. Another week goes by, and I contact him again, he was floored that no one called me back and again said someone would contact me shortly. Another week goes by and out of the blue someone calls me regarding one of the original messages I left a month earlier, when I explained to her everything else she said she would check and call me back. Never heard a word back. The machine showed up a few days later though. However 2 weeks into sending the machine I broke down and brought a new excal because I love the machine so much. (this was during the time when no dealers had excals in stock) I searched the country and for one and then started searching Canada, where I did locate a dealer with one in stock. So I was a happy camper, and thank God I got the new machine as long as it took them to get my machine back to me. Well today I got to the beach turned on the New machine and whaaaaa bing beep it sounded like a telegraph machine. Crap!(at lest I brought my sov and the day was not a total loss) The new machine will have to go back to minelab now, and no telling when I will see it again. I will tell you this...I will not buy another excal! As much as I find with the machine and as much as I love it, I will not continue to deal with a company that has new machines fritzing out, and lousy lousy customer service. Seriously I believe minelab needs to start selling parts and allowing others to work on them. So anyone looking for an excal let me know God only knows when it will come back from repair, but it will be up for sale. Someone invent a new water machine Please!

WOW!!!!! I really can't believe all the bad press I've seen lately about Minelab on many forums (just amazing)???? :icon_scratch:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a shame that we would have to resort to being a Pirate BUT, What we need to do is to get hold of the Brown Truck that makes there delivery's, find out where MINELABS is getting there parts from {would have to be Malaysia, far east} strike up a deal with that company for parts, paying them twice what minelabs pays on each part. {which I'm sure the Main Boards cost Minelabs less the 20 dollars}.......Get OldGold, Seeker41, and a few other goodold techs....And sink the Minelabs ship! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sure a piss poor performance on their part... I know I am sure glad I am a Whites man.2 week turn around... I am not a patient man, but 2 months , I would be lookin for a neck to ring with a > 1k investment that can't be fixed...

Toymad

Oct 11, 2009
Fort Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a Whites BH and love it. They have the best customer service of any one. I could not imagine spending over a grand and getting no service. The only way to make Minelab take notice if people stop buying the product.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasurer_hunter

i am with you................i have owned 4 excals and 5 GT's or sov 2pro's.

had to replace the old horseshoe coil twice back in the 90's
replaced 10" last year..............one i had to replace off and on switch one, same with gt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread