Excal2 seinsitivity question

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I have been using my new Excal2 for about 2 weeks now, and have had some issues with erratic and unpredictable sounds on occasion. Typically when on the wet sand, and a wave washes under the coil when I am swinging it. Doesnt happen with every wave, but some of them. Occasionally well up from the water I will get this same issue. After a bit of research on the old posts here, I see tha to fix this, the sensitivity needs to be turned down. (makes me upset for hitting it all those times.)

So, my question is this. When the sensitivity is adjusted from Auto, and lowered, does it affect the depth of the detecter? I did some testing yesterday, and when I burried my wife's engagement ring 6 inches deep, it didnt even make a sound. To be fair, her engagement is not very heavy, and it is 14k white gold. I just want to be sure that by adjusting the sensitivity, I dont lose much on depth. Of course, if I dont, I have to stop and tap the detector on the ground for 5-15 seconds til it restabalizes.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
my Excal ll is just like my Sovereign GT....dry sand i can run it @ 9...wet sand @8 and in the surf @6 and will still once in a while once every 10 waves get a brief beep when wave sand moves over the coil. you can tell the diff real easy after doing it a while.it sounds softer and does not repeat.you will find this will change from beach to beach depending on the salt/black sand content.Carolina Beach was the worst beach i ever hunted,i had to run sen @ 4 on my GT to hunt there in wet sand! on my beach @8 on wet sand with my Excal ll i get good hits @ 10" on a nickle and 12" on a dime . i set every detector by a nickle. iv never hunted anywhere i could run the sensitivity over 9. stay with it and learn your detector and you will learn every squeak & squawk it makes..lol those darn blue pull tabs sure sound good! DD ;D

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
yikes, that didnt make much sense, but ill try to cope the best i can. low tide is a coming, off i go.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While looking at the Sensitivity knob think of it as a clock with 12 o'clock at the top and it should be clear.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of my Sovereign's and my Excal will give false signals many times when a wave rolls over the coil, it is a very different tone and easy to recognize.

On my sense setting, I start off in auto and then I adjust the sense to the situation as needed until the unit is stable. It varies from area to area on the same beach and from day to day depending on the surf conditions and content of black sand stirred up. If it happens often I adjust the sense on it slightly to fix, you can also place the scoop close to the coil for a sec, that will also clear it, I never beat or tap the detector to clear.

You can also readjust the sense setting, at least I do. I will constantly readjust mine back to auto in different areas of the beach to see if that area is different. It is quick and simple to do. I usually run both of my Sovereigns and the Excal anywhere between the Auto to the 1-3 o'clock position depending on the conditions of the beach area I am hunting.. I personally haven't noticed much difference in the depth and I have seemed to be able to find a fair amount of jewelry, although no matter how much I find it is never enough. :wink:

Most of us describe the settings using a "o'clock" position as in 9 being the 9 o'clock position on the dial, 1 the 1 o'clock position........

It is a learning process, and I am still learning, I do not have enough time left (I'm going on 60) to learn by experience in the field as much as many of the other hunters here, but I read a lot and get good advice from some of the best.............

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thank you hunter, that does help a bi. the clock positions dont work for me as much as I am using the hip mount kit. once my arm gets stronger, ill put it back on the bar, and let it toughen up some more. I usually tap the coil lightly or put the scoop near it, and that usually works, but takes time sometimes. I appreciate the help, and knowing im not the only one with these issues helps a lot.
Anthony

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works no matter how you mount it. Look at it like it is a watch, your watch works upside down, side ways how ever you wear it. I chest mount or waist mount most of my contorls and it still works.......

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
???????????? my Excal ll has numbers on Disc and sensitivity.dont need a clock????

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal II comes with numbers on it but backwards from what we owners of the original Excal always imagined when we talked about adjusting the sentivity controls.... Auto is 10, where we would have called it 7 o'clock, your 6 is what we called 12' o'clock

In answer to your question again, I have ran mine at your #4 setting and seen no loss of depth, still dug targets over 12 inches deep. I pay no attention to what the sensitivity is set at, I adjust mine till it is stable, then kick it up just a hair hotter. Usually this is somewhere between your 8 to number 4 settings...

Hope this helps some to clear up what we were talking about...

minelab_excalibur_settings.jpg

Excalibur II Controls

excalibur1.jpg

Excalibur Controls

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread