Excalibur 1000 With Detec 15x12 SEF Coil Versus Standard 10 Inch Coil on Excal II

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have two Excal detectors. On my 1000 I have a Detec 15x12 SEF coil and my Excal II has the standard 10 inch coil. Everytime I use my Excal 1000 with the SEF coil I seem to find more targets and go deeper than with the Excal II. I am tech savy but not when it comes
to metal detectors and the capabilities of each coil and specs. Has anyone tried the Detec butterfly coil on the Excal II? What is your opinon and have you had better success with the butterfly coil?

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interested in the responses.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On fairly clean beaches, wet sand hunting, the 12 x 15 SEF is the way to go. More depth, more coverage area, and no loss of sensitivity.

However, once in the "saltwater" it becomes situational and conditions dictate quite a bit. Sometimes the 10" is the better choice and sometimes 12 x 15.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Could you tell me what situation would dictate going to the 10 inch? I am going to a beach tomorrow to try and find a ring for a young married couple. They lost it in the water and I was thinking my SEF coil would be best because I can cover more area. I have an idea where to look.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goot luck, look where thhhhey say it isn't....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you tell me what situation would dictate going to the 10 inch? I am going to a beach tomorrow to try and find a ring for a young married couple. They lost it in the water and I was thinking my SEF coil would be best because I can cover more area. I have an idea where to look.

The smaller the coil the easier it is to maintain stability. The larger the coil the more mineralization you introduce into the search field and so the more stable that environment must be. In calm waters over fairly flat bottoms the 12 x 15 can perform quite well because it can maintain stability, but where there are currents and/or uneven bottoms then the environment can become too erratic for the larger search field. You have to remember that the search field is also above the coil, not just below the coil. The more mineralization we introduce into the "total search field" the more difficult it becomes for the machine to maintain ground balance, start stirring this larger environment around and chopping up the bottom and the machine feels all of these factors and it is constantly trying to react to them. Once you have to dial the machine settings back too far just to maintain machine stability then the advantage of the larger coil can be completely lost except at the surface.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Thanks for your response. That makes sense now. I appreciate your help.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I hunt I see a lot of turbulence and it's a rare thing when I can use the larger coil in over a couple of feet of water, at those increasing depths with all the swirling currents and swells, uneven bottoms, etc., I simply have to dial the larger coil back so far it just isn't worth it. On the other hand I can usually hunt the 8" coil nearly wide open with great stability. In the end it's actually quite possible that you can achieve greater depth with the smaller coil simply because you can run it so hot and so stable. The obvious down side being the loss of coverage area, of course. So at times it's all a tradeoff, just depends on the conditions being hunted and the amount of coverage and depth the hunter thinks he can get by with at the time.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread