Excalibur 1000 With Sunray S-12 Coil Mod

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets and I worked on my backup Excal Friday night. We spliced on my Sunray S-12 coil. I decided to do a straight splice rather then do the waterproof connector, mainly because I didn't have a connector on me, and since I have an Excal with a WOT on it already decided to just splice the S-12 on the other one.

After insulating and splicing the wires, I cover the splice first with a piece of insulation cut off a power cable, that was split down the center. we had already slid on two pieces of heat shrink, second one longer then the first one.

We slid the first heat shrink over the splice heated it up to shrink it, then covered both ends with liquid tape to make it waterproof, we then slid the second longer heat shrink over the first one and it with liquid tape. Last night covered the entire length of heat shrink with liquid tape again, and today I put a coat of Pastic-Dip over that and then put a 6 inch length of split flex tubing over it to protect it from any damage sitting in my truck....

NOTE......Splicing it is not easy since the two shield wires are not insulated, rather they are just wrapped around their primary wire, you have to be very careful during the splice or they will short out and you will get no sound.........

NOTE ANY MODS WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY YOU HAVE ON THE EXCALIBUR AND THE SUNRAY.....

Minelab Excalibur 1000
Red------TxA
Black----TxB
Yellow---RxA
White---RxB
ExcaliburCable-1.jpg

Sunray S-12 Coil
Red Insulated Wire------Tx
Bare Wire wrapped around Red Insulated Wire Is It's Shield Ground
Clear Insulated Wire-----Rx
Bare Wire Wrapped Around Clear Insulated Wire Is It's Shield Ground
SunrayCable-1.jpg

Splices
SpliceBeforeSealing-1.jpg

Insulating The Cable Using 2 layers Of Heat Shrink, Then Covered In Liquid Tape, Then A Final Coat Of Plastic-Dip.
ExcalToS-12ModAfterCableSplice-1.jpg

Final Results
DSCF2120-1.jpg

DSCF2121-1.jpg

DSCF2123-1.jpg

Upvote 0
D

digum smacks

hey TH i tried to do that by myself, it was almost impossible,2 people is the only way to do that.im going to put my WOT back on and i probably do it that way.the bulky connectors are too much

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got some serious coverage with that and the WOT on the other one :)

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mod looks great.Nice clean job. :thumbsup:Before ya take it out check the battery pod :laughing9:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Mod..thanks for sharing the pic's and the diagram..let us know if you like it better then the WOT...joe

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Nice work there.
I just pulled mine apart and soldered it right in to the board.
Have to be careful not to get things to hot but it eliminates tap and connectors.

Jason

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in TN said:
Nice work there.
Have to be careful not to get things to hot but it eliminates tap and connectors.

Jason

I thought of going inside but decided against it, I just didn't want to take the chance of causing a leak in the controls.....I am 1000% sure my splice is waterproof with what I did to cover the splice.....

Two different lengths of heatshrink, the ends sealed with liquid tape, then entire heatshrink sealed with 2 coats of liquid tape, and final coat of plasti-dip over that....

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Treasure_Hunter said:
Jason in TN said:
Nice work there.

Jason

I thought of going inside but decided against it, I just didn't want to take the chance of causing a leak in the controls.....I am 1000% sure my splice is waterproof with what I did to cover the splice.....

Two different lengths of heatshrink, the ends sealed with liquid tape, then entire heatshrink sealed with 2 coats of liquid tape, and final coat of plasti-dip over that....

Not to hard to do and leaks are not a problem if done right. Hard part is getting all the pins lined back up for the knobs when putting back together.

Jason

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Looks very nice :icon_thumright: but why the S-12 & not another WOT? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Looks very nice :icon_thumright: but why the S-12 & not another WOT? :icon_scratch:

It has a great rep on the Sovereign GT, is slightly smaller then the WOT (12.5 inches), lighter then the stock 10 inch coil, less resistance in the water and a big plus, it should easily fit in a carry on bag.

I want to be able to take an Excal with me on vacation to Arizona to water hunt. I can put my scoop in my luggage, but I want to hand carry my detector........

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sounds good to me but Ron Lord told me he already cleaned out all the lakes in Arizona when he was out there on vacation ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
Sounds good to me but Ron Lord told me he already cleaned out all the lakes in Arizona when he was out there on vacation ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LOL, I got an IM from Ron, and he was going to tell me what lakes to hit, LOL, he didn't tell me he had already cleaned them out.... :'(

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
Marty: LOL .. Your set for Everything & Anything anyways... :thumbsup:

Yes WE are aren't WE :icon_thumright: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread