Excalibur 1000

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Just received my Excalibur yesterday. No chance to detect yet, but thought I would give my initial impressions, and add on as I go.
Its a very good looking detector. Looks very businesslike. It assembles easily, with no special tricks.
It looks and feels very sturdy. Not flimsy or flexible. Adjustment knobs take a strong twist to turn, but I assume this will prevent them from drifting accidentally out of adjustment.
The owners manual is a pretty quick read, and very easily understood. It does have a bit more sales hype than is necessary. I do not understand the need to "sell" when I already bought the detector.
It seems to be a simple enough detector to operate. Simpler than expected. Of course, it helps that I researched it before purchase too. Makes it all familiar.
I got a wad of free stuff with it. Some things more useful than others. Such as the hip mount.
The manual suggests 12-14 hours for the initial charge. I just plugged it in late last night, so I will not be able to play with it until I get home from work tonight, at the earliest.
I wanted to upgrade to a new detector, and wanted a water detector. There were cheaper models than the Excalibur, but they had shortcomings. The PI's are known for depth, but no discrmination. I plan to use it on land as well as beach, and did not want the frustration of the PI detector. I am not a diver, but you do not have to be to need water proofing. I can use my Minelab in wet, after rain, during the rain, on the beach and in the water, as well, as dry land. With the Excalibur, you get the best of all worlds. Depth, like a PI, discrmination like VLF, and the immunity to salt, black sand etc, of the Minelab, plus its water proof.
So far, its nicey nice, and I am feeling better about the cost.
Thats all for now,
Hugger

Re: Excalibur 1000 Part II

I have had my Excal several days now, and I guess this is my nitpicking post.
It comes with a rechargable battery and charger. Nice idea. Just lousy execution.
There is no indicator or light on the charger, battery or the detector, so you have no way of knowing if its charging, charged or the power level. Incredibly inconvenient and downright cheap on a $1000 detector.
Anyway, Minelab's manual says the initial battery charge should be 12-14 hours. I charged it 24 hours, as I am at work all day.
Well, I gathered some jewelry, coins and junk to do air tests, and I have a dead detector. It seems the battery will not char+ge if still attached to the detector. Nice of Minelab to tell me that...NOT!
So, another whole day of charging.
This time, the detector worked, but not well. In fact, it refused to hold the threshold. The damn thing just makes constant noise.
In the batteries section, Minelabs manual states to make sure the battery is fully chraged before installing it. And just how do you do that I wonder? There is no way of knowing.
The manual states that the threshold becomes unstable when the battery is low. I have no way of testing, so I put the battery back on the charger for another whole day, and, just in case the detector is somehow picking up electrical interference in the house, I take it outside to test it.
Still refuses to hold the threshold.
It seems I have a defective detector. It sings, mumbles, chirps and talks and mumbles to itself constantly. It cannot be used because there is no way of telling this yapping from real signals.
Besides it being defective, I have other complaints.
The headphones seem sensitive enough, but they are the usual huge, black mostrosities. They are a tight, uncomfortable fit, and horrible for any amount of time.
Minelab touts the Excal as an all around detector and charges a princely sum. For that money, they should have some sort of quick change system for the headphones. Same with the coil.
The tone system is completely obsolete. There is not much differentiation between the tones, like Garretts and Fishers have, and its not sharp and quick. Soft and indefinite. Threshold also changes tone constantly based on the last metal detected.
This is a joke.
Minelab supposedly listens to its customers, but they designed this system to the preferences of ancient old geezers who started metal detecting about a zillion years ago with what is now outdated technology. The silly background threshold method was the best for this stone age tech, but is a handicap on a modern, $1000 detector. I do not want to learn old methods! What a joke!
And no charging or battery level indicator on a $1000 detector?
What century does Minelab live in?
I also emailed Kellyco about my problems. They yap about customer service in their advertising, but now they have my money, they are ignoring me.
So, after 9 days, and over $1000, I am stuck with a defective detector.
Given time, when it is finally functioning properly, it may turn out to be a great piece of equipment, but everything, both good and bad, is part of the ownership experience.
Eventually, I will post again on my Excal.
Hugger

Hang on, it gets better. SWR is right, I don't understand how you can charge the battery with out without disconnecting the wire to the detector. First off, turn down the Sens. and make sure your not withing 15 foot of other metal. Run the thing on AUTO while detecting as it is more stable this way. I use very low discrimination, about 2. But all machines are different, so test it on a small nail or hairpin and then a small gold ring. The Excal will repeat the last sound heard till you wave it over the target again and then it will be correct. I don't know about you, but if it makes a sound I can hear I will scoop it up. Forget using your ears to discriminate, but I have done it but it takes practice. As for the head phones, they will loosen up and if they were loose to start with they would fall off in the water. They are made to block out all sound but what you get from the detector.

It is a very sensitive machine and not like the other cheaper detectors out there.

Sandman

Jim,
The battery, as you know, is a snap in. It was physically attached to the detector via the snap connection, but the electrical input was attached to the charger, not the detectors power lead.
Am I correct in assuming this thing should not "talk" constantly?
HH,
Hugger

Sandman,
I understand how it works.
It was in Disc, minimum setting, and Auto sensitivity.
Nothing, absolutely nothing works. When I first turn it on, it is silent, until I bring up the threshold, as per the instruction manual. About 30 seconds after that, it starts chirping and talking and beeping. It did it inside, and it did it outside. It does it when pointed in the air, with nothing for miles, not even airplanes. I have no idea what it is, and assume its defective. It may just be a defective battery that will not hold a charge, but defective is defective.
I am grateful its winter here, and I am not missing much, but I am still disappointed.
As I told Jim, the battery box physically attaches and detaches from the detector, and it took absolutely no charge after 24 hours when it was attached to the detector. I had the power lead to the detector detached, and the power lead of the charger attached.
Only indication of charging is the battery gets warm. It was warm this morning when I took it off the charger.
Minelab touts this as a multi use detector, suitable for land as well as water use. In the Lost Treasure field test, the tester claims to have used it relic hunting, etc.
I went with the Excalibur rather than the Explorer II as I wanted a versatile detector I could use on land. Something that I could use on the beach, in the water, but also in the rain and in the wet, on land.
Given the lousy discrimination, I could have had a Whites PI for hundreds less, and had depth without discrimination. Or even a $400 Cobra Beach Magnet, and saved over $600.
Hoipefully, Minelab will make it good, and I will have a functioning detector.
I am aware of the halo effect in wet ground. I have benefited from it. But I once went hunting after a thunderstorm once. I cannot remember the brand of detector, but it had the electronics box mounted on the bottom of the rod. I found a target and pinpointed it, then I was unable to put the thing down on the wet ground.
I had hoped my Excalibur would be the all purpose detector I was looking for.
Ah well,
Hugger

I posted here before about my new Excalibur 1000. It was defective out of the box.
I got it from Kellyco, and when I finally got a reply from them, they were good as gold about it. They even paid shipping both ways.
I now have received it, assembled it, and air tested it a bit. Seems to work fine.
No chance to actually field test it yet. Between the January weather, my 6 day, 60 hour a week job, the demands of my family, and this weird need to eat and sleep, I just have not found time.
I got both an Excalibur 1000 and an Explorer II. There has been a lot said about the learning curve on Minelabs, but I think its more a matter of unlearning. They are different!
I have become used to detectors that are silent, not with a constant threshold, let alone the variable one on the Excal! I am also used to sharp, positive, specific tones, not a whole range. And its certainly different pinpointing with a DD coil.
But, given my newness and unfamilarity with the equipment, it still seems to work fine. Re-learning hunting habits will be challenging, but I feel I have top notch equipment now.
I intend to slowly add to this as I go.
Hugger

I had an Excal. & 2 Sovs. Put plenty of time on all of them. Ended up selling them 'cause: 1) poor sensitivity to small/low conductors 2) terrible on Canadian coins. I truly liked the tone ID but that couldn't overcome the first two problems. Maybe they operate differently in other places, but not up here or where I'd tested in SE Az. ..Willy.

Been using Excalibur and Sovereigns for close on ten years excellent machines found countless goodies other machines couldnt get near.Be patient it takes time to learn good luck Neilo

Neilo,
Thanks for the encouragement, I need it!
I am married, with two little boys, aged 1 and 2, with another on the way. We have just my income.
Thus, it was a real stretch for us to buy this equipment.
I have various rationalizations for it, but in short, I need this to work.
I am not discouraged. Although when the original Excal arrived defective out of the box, I was pretty disappointed.
Both my Minelabs seem to work fine, but they are very different.
Years ago, when detectors were much more primitive, the best method to find things was with headphones, a constant threshold hum, and listening closely for the slightest changes.This is how the Minelabs work.
Personally, I am not thrilled with that method. I do not think its necessary nowadays.
But, I can learn. It is worth it.
I have been doing a lot of research, and as a couple of listers posted in another thread, there are so many places!
And, I am greatly tied in ways by job and family.
I guess my next need is a very understanding local partner. Something I have never tried.
Whenever Minelab is mentioned, and opinion is expressed, there always seems to be a certain percentage blowing them off. But the rest seem to adore them. Zeb mentioned this in a popular thread. Its the same with any detector, but stronger with Minelab.
Thing is, Minelab, or any brand, cannot be the junk the scoffers say it is, as they would be out of business. No one like you would own them for years if they were junk!
No detector can work miracles. I chose Minelab for various reasons of my own, not just on raw performance, but on features and personal needs.
One thing I can say, is that Minelabs customer service is top notch.
Anuway, thanks for the encouragement!
Hugger

i bought a minelab sovereign from kellyco...i hear it is the same as the excallibur, but just for land use....it turns out it is a very good machine...lou

Hugger you mention about machines with no threshold noise, I dont trust silent detectors sometimes they are too silent and miss small targets.You will also miss out on deep targets on the silent machines.When hunting tiny nuggets or deep targets a flicker in the threshold might be the only indication you get. A couple of years ago one detectorist I met on the Aussie gold feilds dug a target which only started out as being a minor change in the threshold of his GP extreme after digging down to a depth of 3ft he found a 43oz nugget.The ironic thing was a detector club had just left the site and had pitched their tent on top of this nugget.
When using the excalibur remember the first thing to indicate you are over a target is the threshold will alter,then you will get target id tone coming in to identify the target,if the machine goes silent it is telling you it is over an iron target,if a dull low tone signal this will generally be thin alfoil or tiny thin gold ring,medium tone signals are where most jewelry will be found,High tone signals are generally silver, lead and copper.Sometimes on deep targets which are too deep to be identified will initially only affect the threshold and it is not until you have dug down nearer the target that the target tone signal id will operate telling you whether the target is good or not.
I think what you say about the anti minelab faternity is true there seems to be a bit of patriotism and narrow mindedness if its not made in America its no good. I personally have owned Garrett ,Whites Fishers and Bounty hunter machines over the years and believe there are all good machines,all manufacturers make there cheaper models some might perform slightly better than others but not by much,most of the time its not the detector that misses the target its the person holding and swinging the detector who does.
seeya Neilo ;)

Neilo, you hit the nail on the head again with information that is correct and usable.

I too wondered about the use of silent search and find a faint threshold better for finding those very deep signals.

I just got my excal 1000 from kellyco also only played with it in my yard on a new home on a corner and found 51 cents all clad and a hotwheel about the bat charge if you have a ? on how full the charge is use a DC volt meeter should be at lest 12+ volts at full charge. I havent done anything seours with it yet but I think im in love minelab ou rock keep up the good work.IM considering selling my mxt to get a SE.

LOL, really old thread.

Good luck Drew, your going to love it, I love both of my Excals. ;D

Hey!!! I just reread this thread and I got a great laugh out of Hugger's one sentence.
Minelab supposedly listens to its customers, but they designed this system to the preferences of ancient old geezers who started metal detecting about a zillion years ago with what is now outdated technology.

'Ancient old geezer", fits me perfectly, thanks for the laugh. ;D ;D ;D

Here's another ancient old Geezer who just bought an Excalibur and can't make any sense out of it. I took it snorkelling out to a site where we have located a 1700's ballast pile, a bunch of bottle bottoms, fire brick, and some encrusted iron pieces. We KNOW there are tons of targets on this wreck site.

The Excalibur made so much noise in the water it was impossible for me to make any sense out of it. Just moving the coil around produces all kinds of noise. Holding everything perfectly still, same thing. I waved the coil over a 10 lb. steel anchor from our boat, and no change in the gibberish coming from the Excalibur. I contacted KellyCo and they said send it back. Well, that would be easy if I lived in the States, but I moved to a small island three years ago, and to ship it to Florida Fed Ex would cost me $ 150 each way. This is not my first experience with a metal detector, but my first underwater one. I am hoping its just me learning all those knobs, but so far, I am a little worried I may have blown $ 1100 bucks...

Here's my wife trying it out...she couldnt make head nor tails of it either..

Attachments

• Dec04 015x25%.jpg
    Dec04 015x25%.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 616
Before you send it anywhere tell us what each of your settings were set at and someone will help you.

Personally I suspect you had the sense set way too high. Was it set to auto? (all way to the left) When the Excal starts getting unstable you need to lower the sense till it settles down. (turn to the right) I hunt the surf a lot and many times I am chest deep and the sense is set between 10 and 1-2 PM to get it stable, you will not see it affect the depth. (imagine the sense knob is a hand on a clock.)

The Excal is a fantastic detector so try not to let yourself get paranoid that you wasted your money yet, your fears will go away after a short learning curve and you will find it is a fantastic detector.... ;)

Thanks for the encouraging words. I chose the Excaliber because of all the good stuff I read about it online. We are isolated down here, and stuff needs to work and be reliable. Warranty claims, well, usually we find it easier to just junk something and try a different brand. I have a funky camera sitting here, and while still under warranty, to send it to a repair center and back would cost $ 300 ( as an example). I will probably just spend another hundred bucks over that and get a new camera by their competition. Its a new way of looking at things.

What I will do is take the Minelab out to the beach in the next couple days, and see if I can get it to work in chest deep water. Thats before I load up the hookah and take the boat back to the wreck site out on the reef. Thanks again for the help. So I turn UP threshold, and DOWN sensitivity......makes sense.

Here's what part of a 1700's ballast stone pile looks like undisturbed ( except for me) for 300 years. The native rock here is marine limestone and coral. Nothing else. These are granite, basalt, and some blue slate, that we have identified so far, and came from Europe a long long time ago. We know this area is ripe with artifacts, at least. The ship was big enough to have a stove in it, we have some of the firebricks.

I put the rope on it to get a good GPS position with the boat.

Attachments

• Ballast x 25%.jpg
    Ballast x 25%.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 607
Okay, I got it. Lower threshold and lower sensitivity. That would seem to be different from some other equipment, where raising the receiver threshold helps to prevent low-level noise from masking weak signals, but I am certainly willing to learn from those who know this machine's pecularities.
Can't wait to give it a try.
Thanks for the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back