Excalibur 11

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
Whats the deal with the 10" coil it seems to be hard wired into the detector but I see coilteck makes a 15" WOT coil for the Excalibur. I would like to have the ability make a coil change but not sure if possible?

Thanks for you input.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigp2 said:
Whats the deal with the 10" coil it seems to be hard wired into the detector but I see coilteck makes a 15" WOT coil for the Excalibur. I would like to have the ability make a coil change but not sure if possible?

Thanks for you input.

Minelab will no longer hard wire it into the controls. You have two options.

1. You can use the waterproof connectors like MT Pockets uses in this thread, which is how my newest used Excal is done. Check it out it is the way you want to go if you want to change back and forth between coils http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,282156.0.html

(Far superior to the other glass tube splice offered)
connectorforwotglass.jpg

2. Another way which is also how I think I will do my backup Excal when I find the WOT coil for it is cut and solder splice the wires between the coil and controls together, seal each wire with Blue RTV Silicone or some kind of silicone after each solder splice, then after each wire is spliced, I am going to heat shrink the entire cable, seal ends with silicone and then heat shrink it again a little longer so one heat shrink is completely enclosed inside the other heat shrink...I am going to put a stiff fiberglass strength member inside of the first heat shrink so it is stiff the point of the actual splice....

| |<-1st heat shrink_> | | ............. First heat shrink is in black, 2nd heat shrink is in red.. Each end of both heat shrinks will be sealed with RTV silicone, or black liquid tape.

By doing it this way water will have to leak through 2 seperate sealed heat shrink points to get to the wires which are still sealed in silicone......

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Hey TH, did I hear you correctly? You said Minelab will not hardwire it anymore? When is that going to take place?
I'm set for one and would like that option for future coil swap without cutting and splicing.
Sounds like I am purchasing at a good time if that is now the norm, gonna go to ML website to find some info. :read2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SYKO said:
Hey TH, did I hear you correctly? You said Minelab will not hardwire it anymore? When is that going to take place?
I'm set for one and would like that option for future coil swap without cutting and splicing.
Sounds like I am purchasing at a good time if that is now the norm, gonna go to ML website to find some info. :read2:

Minelab stop doing all custom mods early last year, they will rewire a new stock coil if it goes bad, but not do a mod. If you have a mod you have already done, and have a problem with the electronics they will work on the controls, but not do any custom work.

They were running into to many people saying "Minelab did my mod" when they had problems , but " they lost their receipt",(the customer) and Minelab had no paperwork showing they ever did the mod, so Minelab said no more mods. Basically people were doing their own mods and when they had problems they were shipping them to Minelab with no proof Minelab did the work and trying to get Minelab to fix the problem for free.....

If you hardwire the coil yourself you will void the warranty, but warranty is only good for a year now, so after a year, mod it yourself....

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
oh,gotcha...I thought you meant they were going to start coming out with that waterproof connector as a standard setup.
That way people could easily just swap coils, that would be cool and the warranty would be there.
Too bad they don't offer an option for a bigger coil straight from the factory, less people having to rig their own connection.

Thanks for the info :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the option to change coils is a great help for us but a real pain for manufactures. They would rather hardwire them to save troubles by making them idiot proof. Tesoro is having trouble right now with finding a vendor for the waterproof connectors for the Tiger Shark.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Having the option to change coils is a great help for us but a real pain for manufactures. They would rather hardwire them to save troubles by making them idiot proof. Tesoro is having trouble right now with finding a vendor for the waterproof connectors for the Tiger Shark.

Your right there, I see where some members have been waiting since March 2009 to get their Tiger Sharks back from repair because of connector issues, waiting over 10 months now, yet some people say Minelab has poor customer service because it takes 23 working days to get a repair done.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scubaozzy said:
is there anyone here that does that modification on them?

I checked and emailed all over, contacting various dealers including Docs and "Mr Bill", I could not find anyone who would do the mod, then MT Pockets contacted me and said he thought he had found connectors we could use and we did the mod on the latest used Excal I picked up ourselves..... I am going to mod my backup Excal as soon as I find a used WOT or Sunray S-12 coil to use on it..............

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 4 wires inside the cable, (white, black red, orange) and wires are in channels in the insulation of the cable so you have to be very careful stripping off the insulation or you will nick the wires.

This thread link by MT Pockets (you may have missed it above) gives you a fair idea of how it is done.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,282156.0.html

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks.

Yes. saw the article, but couldn't be sure of the number of wires. I don't dive, but use my 800 on the beach/surf. The waterproof feature is great for this, even for rinsing the machine off. I've had knowledgeable people tell me the 8" is best for this, but sometimes I'd like to cover more ground.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billinstuart said:
Thanks.

Yes. saw the article, but couldn't be sure of the number of wires. I don't dive, but use my 800 on the beach/surf. The waterproof feature is great for this, even for rinsing the machine off. I've had knowledgeable people tell me the 8" is best for this, but sometimes I'd like to cover more ground.

Personally no way I could hunt beaches with 8 inch coil, way to much area to cover. Once I tried the WOT coils on the beaches I could never go back to the small coils. When I try to use my backup Excal 1000 with the 10 inch coil it drives me crazy looking at that tiny coil....I can hunt with it, but only if I absolutely have to, I am currently looking for another used WOT or Sunray S-12 coil for my backup Excal. My waterproof Sov GT already has the WOT coil.... I have 2 backup water detectors.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I read that the 8" is more sensitive to small gold and is probably why they recommended that coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread