Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Open it up again, dry the inside of the tube, remove the O-Ring, wipe out the grove with a q-tip, put a bit of silicon grease on the O-Ring, put the O-Ring back into its grove, wipe off the tube's inner surface were the O-Ring will set and then re-assemble to pod.
Tighten the set screws just so they sit just below the outer diameter of the tube. Do not over tighten. Then wrap the edge of the end cap all around covering the set screws. Replace the black plastic cover over the electrical tape. That should do it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you did not put the set screws back in the end cap in too deep, they are to be left flush with outside of pod, if you counter sink them you can crack the endcap. Look at the end cap under a light and rotate the pod, look for cracks, they will look like a crack in glass.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I changed my rechargeable battery on my Excalibur II to an EX3000. Better life. Even though I sealed it back up using the o ring and a bit of marine grease I noticed that I had condensation or very slight leakage after using it in the surf. What have others done to reseal the battery pod?
if you can ,get a db kit from a telephone man. the grease in the db kit is the best there is

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

H2oHunter

May 4, 2012
Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garett, Fisher, Troy Whtes.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the same setup as you. I recommend that after you remove the battery again, try to use a new silica pack. I also recommend adding a new O Ring, because after some time the O Ring will not expand to make a good seal.
I am not sure if you can reactivate the original silica pack as I do in my job working with commercial equipment that are used in wet environments -we can do so with big packs by putting them in an oven at 150 degrees for hour.
In addition, make sure your pack doesn't have a small hairline crack as well.
And don't over tighten the set screws.
I hope that this helps.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure you did not put the set screws back in the end cap in too deep, they are to be left flush with outside of pod, if you counter sink them you can crack the endcap. Look at the end cap under a light and rotate the pod, look for cracks, they will look like a crack in glass.

That would be my guess also, rare do the pods leak unless the endcap is cracked. And it can be a hairline crack too.

Dow 111 is the best grease I know of, recommended by Minelabs.

Most of these are cracked..something they are famous for........ 20180327_224655_Film9.jpg

I would do what they say above and last resorts is to get a new alkaline pack.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know if anyone mentioned it but you need to put one of those dry packs in there as well. Sometimes just opening and closing does it in the HOT sun until the pack does its job. I use RTV silicone around the cap and over those set screws before putting the shrink tube back on.

OP
OP
Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recommendations. Will definitely execute. Thanks.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about a sleeve of SHRINK WRAP ?

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slap it back together and tell us how much gold you found good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread