Excalibur differences between models?

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious if there are any major differences in performance or added features between the first Excalibur, Excalibur 800, Excalibur 1000 or the latest Excalibur II. I am in the market for a older discontinued Excal although wondering if I will be missing any updated features or performance that the Excal II might have.

Thanks in advance for your input and happy hunting!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you're going to search a REAL junky area, I'd forget about the 800 unless you're going to use it as a platform for an aftermarket coil. You want the biggest coil you can swing on the beach so you can cover more area. I would also not get the old "Spear" or Seasearch unit as the newer machines go deeper and work better. I haven't used the X2 but from those I've talked to that have, they aren't much different than the late X1's.

OP
OP
Silver Slayer

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you're going to search a REAL junky area, I'd forget about the 800 unless you're going to use it as a platform for an aftermarket coil. You want the biggest coil you can swing on the beach so you can cover more area. I would also not get the old "Spear" or Seasearch unit as the newer machines go deeper and work better. I haven't used the X2 but from those I've talked to that have, they aren't much different than the late X1's.

Thanks Cudamark for the good info. What is the Spear or Seasearch unit? Are you reffering to the first original Excal from 1993?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's the one with horseshoe shaped coil.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i used all the Excaliburs and Sovereigns And in the performance of them all to me they were all equal.............They made a few changes on each model of the Sovereign......... But to me they were about all the same with a different model name on them............... What you have to watch for on the older Excaliburs & Sovereigns is yours one of the older ones that Minelab will not repair now..... For they want you to buy a new one........ Or if they do fix it they want so much money for the repair that you might as well just buy a new one................ They want to sell the new ones not repair the old ones.......... ..........................And you was told the newer one go deeper ,,,,But they don't From the first one's out to the last ones made .... They all get the same depth................. Newer does not mean deeper............

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is right. If we believed all the hype about depth achieved with each new model detector, they would all reach to China. There is a point where parts are not available for older detectors.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy is right. If we believed all the hype about depth achieved with each new model detector, they would all reach to China. There is a point where parts are not available for older detectors.
..... Sandman ..... From what some on these treasure forum's say about there depth........... They would need a backhoe to dig up a dime..........

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy and Sandman are 100%, lots of changes over the years but few have made any difference other then quality. I've used every model and tested each under the same condition...All are with in inch's on depth and this can vary with in the same models. The most important thing is knowing how to use one to it's fullest on your beach's. Coil size, I prefer the 10, And the Old Blue headphones. There are several mods one can do to the excalibur which will make it a better machine is why I buy old.

DSC_9271.jpg seasearch ml.jpg

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there other models or variances of Excalibur manufactured by Mine Lab.
IIRC, I saw an unmodified model if an Excalibur with Red Head Sets.
Is there such a thing as a Gary Storm model of an Excalibur.
I don't know what the significance of that name is, I just keep recalling it - nor sure why.

Keppy and Sandman are 100%, lots of changes over the years but few have made any difference other then quality. I've used every model and tested each under the same condition...All are with in inch's on depth and this can vary with in the same models. The most important thing is knowing how to use one to it's fullest on your beach's. Coil size, I prefer the 10, And the Old Blue headphones. There are several mods one can do to the excalibur which will make it a better machine is why I buy old.

View attachment 701509 View attachment 701525

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there have been 3-4 generations: The old Sword model with horseshoe coil and red headphones, the Excalibur 800/1000 with blue/gray headphones, and the Excalibur II with yellow headphones and the new design coil. There might have been a transition period on the Excal. 800/1000 where the red heads were used, but my memory escapes me. I heard Gary Storm, who owns DetectorPro, was involved in the development and design of the original. Anyone feel free to fill in or correct this.

Wayne

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there other models or variances of Excalibur manufactured by Mine Lab.
IIRC, I saw an unmodified model if an Excalibur with Red Head Sets.
Is there such a thing as a Gary Storm model of an Excalibur.
I don't know what the significance of that name is, I just keep recalling it - nor sure why.

As all things they grow for better or for worse. There were 3 models as pictured, early models were the Gary Storm, New York Excalibur. I think there was the Aqua colored head phones then the red, but I have seen black also, not sure where they fit in, early models were the silvers swords, then the gold swords, I have come across one model sword that was very unusual, I am guessing but I believe it to be a aussie model...A quick story,
Gary Storm.

In 1990 I became the distributor for a small unknown company called Minelab. They introduced the new BBS technology in the Sovereign. Being a water hunter I saw how well it worked in salt water and tried to get them to build an UW detector using the BBS. I had a person working for me that was very talented and we came up with the Excalibur housing. We sold Minelab on it. It took about 2 years to develop but we finally did it. They would send us the boards, coils and boxes and we would do the final assembly here. We built them from 1994-1996. They are know as the NY Excals. The big decision came in 1996.
I have touched several Excalibur's in a short time of a year and seen many small variations over the span of it's life, most I am guessing, changes in venders (suppliers).

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think there have been 3-4 generations: The old Sword model with horseshoe coil and red headphones, the Excalibur 800/1000 with blue/gray headphones, and the Excalibur II with yellow headphones and the new design coil. There might have been a transition period on the Excal. 800/1000 where the red heads were used, but my memory escapes me. I heard Gary Storm, who owns DetectorPro, was involved in the development and design of the original. Anyone feel free to fill in or correct this.

Wayne
Yes Gary Storm was involved with the first Sovereign ... When they first came out with the first Sovereign the instructional video i got with mine was with Gary Storm he was the one in the video showing how to assemble and use the Sovereign...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread