Excalibur help please

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.I'm reaching out for some help. a quick background from me, I've been detecting for about 7 years or so. I have an Etrac, AT pro, Ace 250 and now a brand new Excalibur. I took my Ecal out today to start learning the machine and now Im a little confused so I'm hoping some of you experts could shed some light for me.

I'm finding that even as a seasoned detectorists, I'm starting to blame the machine over new operator error. I run the machine in pinpoint mode and no problems what so ever. I bet I picked up half the Bobby pins, fish hooks, a iron cuncks on the beach. I switch over to discrimination and it starts to ramp up and down like a chainsaw bog sound. I'm wondering if discrimination has a different threshold sound from pinpoint? Also is the chainsaw bog sound normal? When the machine ramps up, I thought it was identifing a target but nothing was there. I switched back to pin pointo mode and it did not identity anything being there like disc did. I then seeded the ground and the ecal hit them but it was still nonstop chainsaw clatter and multiple ramps up an down. When I use pinpoint it just identified my seeds without the other mess. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Is this normal? I know it's only day one with it but I'm just having trouble understanding why I get crazy threshold ramps that tend to stick for a period of time in discrimination but not pinpoint. I would have thought it to be the other way around.
Thank you for any and all advise. Also for tolerating such a newby question. I just want to make sure I'm dealing with a learning curve and not a defective situation. Thanks again everyone

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you have the sensitivity set too? Sounds like it may be set too high

OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a video on YouTube and it said to start at about 5. So that's where I ran it. What do you suggest?

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I take mine out of Pinpoint mode and slightly to Discriminate before it clicks back to Pinpoint. I think my sensativity is set on about 6 and volumn low for a steady tone. goldnugget

OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My threshold is what I think the problem is or my misunderstanding anyway. When I turn it up to where I can here it, it pops crackles and ramps up and down. Does the threshold level effect the Threshold stability? Could that be my issue?

OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't me but this is the exact same issue that I'm having.....

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the reasons I got rid of mine. It is telling you it is NULLING off a rejected target so you can slow down and check the area better. It would give me a headache after awhile thou because the volume level would go up and down according to how deep the rejected target was.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every beach is different, even a beach can be different from one end to another, you can't say set it on 5 or set it on 6 and leave it there.

I adjust sensitivity until the threshold is stable and then bump it up just a hair hotter..... It want do any good if your detector is unstable.. I usually adjust my sensitivity a couple times or more on every hunt

Personally I love the excals!!!!

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
there is away around the threshold issue, just set the machine on

Disc 1

Sensitivity 6

Volume 3/4 to full

Threshold... Just turn the machine on, click and stop

set in disc mode

And you will only here good targets.. and not all the commotion

One of the best hunters of all time, Goldinwater (chris) hunts like this ..

Hunt from several years ago, 2010..just showing the way you would expect one to act on a hunt, I set back and watch this and realize how much my hunting habits have changed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xmarks73

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys rock! :thumbsup: thanks for the help