Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't seal them so when you do use them in salt water they can be flushed out several times with freshwater after each use.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he's referring to the small drain holes in the bottom of the cans. I like to submerge mine in a bucket of freshwater or my swimming pool and squeeze the foam few times and swish them around to try to flush the salt out really well. I think OBN said the piezo's get corroded up from salt inside the cans, so I do all I can to try and prevent this.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are talking about speakers and piezos..... there arent any out there that i wouldnt RESEAL as and added precaution. Most have an epoxy seal, but if you intend to snorkel or really get them wet i would. But the drain holes.... some have two at the bottom and top i seal one on top and bottom to cut down the wind noise and they still drain sufficiently.... and no sealing doesnt interfere with the volume/tone since the speakers already sealed over the top. Ive not been impressed with anything made or put together in Malaysia .... so follow your instincts since its simple to do.

Dew

Last edited:

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Here is a pic of the insides of my 3 year old headphones, You can see where water has got in around the speaker.
I would suggest putting silicon all around the speakers and around the wires also. you can see how thin the silicon from the factory is covering the wire. it takes about 2 to 3 years for this to happen so warranty is not an option its on U.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_23 Jul. 12 10.36.jpg
    ScreenHunter_23 Jul. 12 10.36.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 82

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had earphone problems on machine #1, like Jim said, it did take about three+ years.
All I got is salt water to detect in, so I just try and rinse them real good. Smash the foam down and shake about some, then dry some more with a paper towel.
I baby my machines and they still end up with some kinda problem. Not feeling the love for Minelabs' craftsmanship, atm, for what I pay for their machines.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey fletch. I'll have to try the swimming pool idea. And that grip is working great on the GT. Thanks Again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread