Excalibur II-Jewel or Junk?

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
I have been saving for a water machine. I thought it would be this model but with reports from people like Florida Bill and others makes me wonder if it is the right one? I don't understand if they are having to change coils on a new model. It seems that in all the reading I have done about Excalibur, there have always been people that have had a lot of problems with these, yet others testify they never had a problem. These machines are giving me the impression that they are like a race horse, if you get the right one they go like heck, if you don't you will always be in the barn. Maybe I should wait another 10 years for the Excalibur III with gold earphones and pink labels. Help!!!!!

Upvote 0

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , I had problems with the ex cal. but I still think it is a great machine. I used Erick's older ex cal. a few days that mine wouldn't work and it purred like a kitten. Go figure.

The only thing I can say is that's why they have a warranty. I bought mine from JW at Kellyco and I have to say that he went out of his way to See that I got one that worked. Remember they don't manufacturer them they just sell them.

So after so many being bad I was just too frustrated to try again, and I really wanted one and still do, but I will wait until they figure out the bugs. I want to get out and hunt before the summer is gone not ship detectors back & forth all summer.

Good luck in what ever you decide....

OP
OP
F

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Bill,

Is anybody in your area have the Excalibur II and not having this problem?
I just wonder if the electronics are a little different in the old ones and that the new ones just don't perform in your local conditions. If that is the case they will all do the same thing. I have read the electronics have been changed. I have also read they have not been changed. If they tweaked things, maybe they unknowingly introduced stability problems. Is there any interaction between Kellyco and the factory on this? Has there been admission of known quality control or design issues?

Thank-You

Foil

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that it would be safe to say who in my area doesn't have one lol. I know Montauk and cavedweller and I think cotton all have them with no problems.

I think cotton did have problems and put the old bbs coil on his and then it was OK.

As far as Kellyco I know JW is talking to them but I wouldn't want to speak for him.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is like eveything else there are a few bad units, and those are the ones you will hear about the most. I have 2 Sov Gt's, one is a custom waterproofed unit with a WOT coil and I use it most times I'm in the water, I do still have an Excal 1000, the old model with the blue headset, and I still use it. My WP Sovereign GT has the WOT coil on it and I prefer it to the 10 inch coil so I use the SOV 90% of the time I'm in the water.

Personally, I would not hesitate to buy the new Excal II if the time came around where I was looking for another water machine. I had a Whites Beach Hunter ID, I liked it's performance, but it leaked twice on me in the battery compartment and I traded it in on a new Sov GT that is my land/Beach Sovereign.

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II
I am only able to add that , as a novice hunter, my Excal II 1000 seems to be working fine. I have not been finding ten rings a week with it, but I also have a huge amount of competition here.

I have recovered enough to make me happy with the machine and keep my interest high enough to get out and hunt a couple days a week, for the two months I've owned the thing.

I can also add that the writings of the members here have been of much help to me in figuring my machine out and providing tips to make my hunts as productive as possible.

There may be better machines out there, but I am happy with mine and based my purchase on the rave reviews of the older Excal. I read first here at Treasurenet.

GL/HH

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've had an excal 1000 for a few years now and I love it. This machine is bullet proof. I use it diving and beach metal detecting. It has a 15 inch coil and I really abuse it, but it keeps on ticking. I often get to the beaches as other md'ers are leaving and still find nice treasures.... Last week in particular I was walking to the beach and I passed a fellow md'er with a whites who claimed "I've cleaned the beach out!" I chuckleed and replied "I'll find what you weren't man enough to dig" Turns out he missed a nice 14k diamond ring, but I didn't find a single pull tab. I'd like to thank that guy for cleaning out all the junk for me so I could go straight to the nice stuff.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own an Excal but I have been hunting for many years. There aren't many manufacturers that guarantee no problems with there machines and I wouldn't be surprised if any machine I owned broke or had some problem. The key in this arena is Customer Service. If you buy a machine with a rock solid warrantee and the company has a reputation for good quality customer service, then you should feel comfortable in buying one.

I have never had any dealings with Minelab in the customer service arena. I own a Minelab Sovereign Elite for my land machine and it has worked fine for the year that I have owned it. I traded a set of golf clubs for it. It was used when I got it.

I own a Garrett Infinium for my water machine. I sent it back to Garrett last year when it became unstable. Their customer service was top of the line. They repaired the issue and updated the machine with the latest onboard computer chip that they had and did it all for pennies. I paid mostly the shipping and that was about it.

Bottom line, if you have researched and decided the Excal is for you, I would do a quick research on recent feedback that people are giving about the Minelab Customer Service, and if you are happy with what you read, go ahead and buy the machine.

You will find that most major name brand manufacturers are good with customer service. Some are better than others but most are good. Tesoro and Garrett I have dealth with and have no complaints about either. Go to the Minelab forum here on TNET and see what others are saying about the latest in Minelab Customer Service.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I have an Excal.1 and think it is great so far. It is nice not to waste time digging hair pins an nails. I guess no detector is flawless. My cable wire is constently twisting. It makes me crazy. I also have problems with the glass top on my battery cracking. Sent it back and now my spair is cracking. What the :tard: I get by,if the gold is there and you sweep over it ,it is yours. I have other water detectors with bigger problems. Happy hunting. Mike.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
iv owned 3 Excal's and never had a problem with any of them.this Excal ll i got last week works great,no problems! i only wish they would wise up and put it in a case like the Tiger Shark so you can change the coil and head phones and be more compact instead of this long tube! other than that its a great detector. DD

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foilman, I'm with you about a new water machine. I really wanted a CZ or Excal but the reports of bad machines made me hold off. For now i settled on a Tesoro Tiger shark and its doing well for what it is. I also would like to see one of these companies come out with a ground up new water machine and not fixes to old machines calling them new. Its going to take more than a revamp for me to part with $1000 +

My two wheat's

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Excal, old Excal, either way Excal and Sov's are hard to beat for water hunting...

Personally I prefer the Sov GT in the water, but you have to find one that has been water proofed, and finding a water proofed Sov is like looking for hen's teeth.

If I didn't already have an Excal and a water proofed Sov GT, knowing what I know from using them, I would not hesitate for a sec to buy one to water hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions