Excalibur II problem

Jan 4, 2010
Hi,

Dont know if this is a right place.. I have problems with excalibur I cut the cables and change bigger coil s12 with buccaneer connectors. It was working very well about a month then it goes unstable while I was water hunting. I check the buccaneer bulgin connector and battery connector there was some water both of them. I dryed both and change another coil (8" stock coil).it works about an hour then it goes unstable again. Again there was some water in the buccaneer connectors. I check and dry all the connectors and test it at home but now pinpoint is just screaming and disc is unstable (peeps every 2-20 sec.)
Does anyone have a good advice ? Where to start looking the problem ?
I contact minelab repair center and they guess that water leak run along the cable into the control box. Repairing is about 600-800€ maybe new pcb and some other parts :(

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bulkin connectors have problems with leaks, I no longer user them
Water can indeed go up the cable and get into the control box and it sounds like that is what happen. I have A hunting partner who hard wires it into the controls and more waterproof than the original version.

You have only 2 choices pay to fix it or buy another detector.

OP
OP
M
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks for fast answering. Maybe i try my friends coil and battery tehn send it to minelab for fixing..
i see you dont use any connectors 3 excaliburs.. Which coil do you like most ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use a wot or sef 12x15" butterfly coils. I'm down to 2 excals sold one.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
TH is right, I went the route of Bulgin connectors and found the best results can be had only by hard wiring the coil to the POD just like the factory does. I would check with Davespen on doing this, And for me the stock coil covers just about all hunting conditions. If the unit did not short out, you can pull the PCB/mainboard and clean it with alochol, then replace the coil with a new one because once saltwater gets into the copper of the wires there will be a loss of signal or shorting. You can tell by seeing the copper wire turns black. This can be found in alot of the new excalibur II's because they have used poor quality cable............Good Luck, and check with Dave, He will save you some big bucks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN is correct, Dave is my hunting partner, you can trust him to do the work and on its return it is more waterproof than when you bought it..........

OP
OP
M
Jan 4, 2010
Hi again. I opened and cleaned the control box But know there is a wierd problem. It is working but if I touch the control box it goes unstable or just silent. Does anyone know what might be wrong. I try to fix it myself if its possible.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saltwater that has gotten in the connectors can get into the cable and the corrosion can then travel up the wires..... YOU may need to send it in to someone to have it repaired.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt water in the cable.... dont get better. You know what it does to copper all that green. Get it fixed right. Mods can cost you..... choose wisely.

Dew

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Shorting out
You need to replace the coil with a new one, and more then likely the head phones also....GreyGhostUW's or the Goldmasters, pull the right cup from the GG, pull out the little coil that reduces the audio on the excalibur, silicon all very well back into the cup, testing all before...... Goldmasters are the Best
new coil 200, used? 100..the best used are the land, sovereign's BBS.....most used excaliburs coils are either split on the bottom of the coil or the cable is cracking...best to buy local if not new
GGUW's..140
And check with davespen, most people that work on the excaliburs have extra parts from mod's of other detectors...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread