excalibur ll settings

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i hunt out of central fl, from jetty park to vero inlet. my settings are my biggest problem. a lot of people try to help by saying set to 12 o'clock or 9 etc.
my settings are disc---treshold 3/4-----volume full---sensitivity 6-----desc7
i have found that i dig everything even a hair pin 12" deep
saturday i found a quarter and it had the same sound as the beer bottle cap
now, i'm not complaining because i find a lot of stuff BUT i mainly want the good stuff.
thanks for your time and help
jack (urdaboss)

Upvote 0

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
My setting may not be right but heres how i roll.

Disc-1
treshold-so i can just hear it
volume-at a level that dosn't blow may ear drums out
sensitivity-all i can get away with depending on how much salts in the water

GOOD LUCK

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can run the Excal in Auto while you learn, but since it only beeps on non iron it isn't necessary to be able to learn the tones. You shouldn't set Disc higher than ONE or TWO at the most. I expect you missed out on many gold rings with that high setting. If the quarter and beer bottle cap are the same conductivity, they will make the same tone.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the disc mode, not the pin point. I set the disc knob to #1 , just to leave out iron. The threshold to where the threshold sound is barely audible. The sensitivity to 12 o'clock and I will move it toward 9 O'clock until it starts to false and then I back off a little so I get no falsing. Swing the coil evenly and slowly, rubbing the bottom. Iron items will give a nulling sound at first, then gives you a tone sometimes breaking up.
Hope this helps.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are hunting in PP.... you need to walk before you run. Switch to disc with little or NO disc, i adjust my sensitivity to the water.... start at 6 and turn it down if you get falsing. Your threshold is really high it should be barely audible you may not be letting all the weak signals get thru. Even to set my PP mode i first set it on disc then turn it on PP. Learn what a bottle cap is.... dig everything elce that beeps in DISC. PP might be a tad deeper just because you can crank up sensitivity, but it aint at 6. That small advantage in a trashy area isnt an advantage if you spend more time digging trash or even trash jewelry. If your area is hunted heavy.... disc will allow you to hunt a lot more beach that has its advantages.

Dew

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I agree with everyone. I would also bury some different targets and try different settings where you hunt. See what settings get you the deepest. Check out how swing speeds change signals. Learn the different sounds. Its a great machine! Enjoy

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Discri=0
Vol=Max
Sen= Max when you hunt in the salt water you setting Sen in 12 clock.
Trea= just audible
I wish you luck

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
thanks to all. i will try.
i am leaving at 5am to cocoa and will let u know!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i never ever set desc above 1, sensitivy i adjust for each beach, you want it stable, but i will adust mine just a little above stable. On the old excal it is usually between 11-2 as a clock, (8 being auto) threshold so it sounds like a misquto in my ear. Old bottle caps will fool you, your going to dig pulltabs, they sound like gold many times. If your setting desc to 7 your missing some gold..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem hearing (my hearing is tested annually during my physical) I have always used full volume. The threshold is set to sound like a small tiny mosquito in my ear... The only time the volume comes into play is on a target and I want to be able to hear the faint targets...

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
WHAT!! WHAT DID THEY SAY???
sorry, but i really do not see the difference between listening to a loud bee in my ear or the noise from the lowriders car 2 blocks away. i too have my hearing tested yearly and that test is MUCH louder!

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have found that i dig everything even a hair pin 12" deep
saturday i found a quarter and it had the same sound as the beer bottle cap

Somethings not right? An excal should null on the hair pin and bottle cap.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will null on hairpin but not bottle cap, BC not iron...

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that depends on the type of bottle cap. There are plenty of rusty, corroded caps around here.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick..... you just picked up on what i noticed. He dug a hair pin at 12 inches.... with disc at 7? Unless im hunting in PP im not picking up ANY hair pins even at disc 1. There may have been another target in that hole. I have noticed it can take a second to get a signal in a deep hole..... check it again if you dont find a GOOD target in the scoop or around you. Honestly I dont think i could dig a hair pin at 12 inches even in PP.

Dew

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
ive been hunting for awhile with the excal. seems everyone is not getting alot of gold this year.ive been doing awesome. 49 on the year.and i dont get out alot maybe 8 hours every other week. i hunt in all metal cranked up high as i can go. volume all the way up and threshold not too loud so it distorts. soon as i get a target i hit disc. and instantly i know what the target it but if you leave it on disc it goes haywire because its full blast.but i get a better reading in the first half a second if its low i always dig it. but iam also running something that no one in here is.:icon_scratch:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well.......my pinpoint mode is not as deep as my disc mode so i hunt in disc.
alot of iron will null or not sound good at first but if you keep sweeping it it will start to sound diggable.
everyone has covered pretty much everything else!

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I know all machines are different. In all metal mine goes 3.28 inches deeper than disc.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know all machines are different. In all metal mine goes 3.28 inches deeper than disc.

that and your hunting skill and you end up with 49 rings!!!!!!!!!

svensken77

Jun 29, 2012
westside
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 350 (sold)
Garrett AT PRO
Garret pro pinpointer
Minelab Excalibur II
I also noticed today that mine goes deeper with pinpoint mode than with Disc mode.
I got signal with pinpoint and tried the same target with disc but i could not pick up a signal before i dug a little.
The target was a coin.
But i only tried switching from PP to disc and did not change any other setting, that might have changed the result if i did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread