Excalibur or Infinium

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I have my choice but am not sure which way to go.
Most likely the hunting will be fresh water with some trash but not heavy trash.
I do not want to rule out the possibility of getting a chance to use this at the beach in saltwater but it will not be often.
I have a good land md. I am mainly looking for this to be used in the water.
I like the minelab but would just like some thoughts from possibly someone who has used both before I make a purchase.
Thank you for your thoughts
Joe

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Infinium LS is good in fresh and salt water and gos much deeper than the Excal ever dreamed. I own both and like my Infinium the best. check out ( 3ring Day for my Infinium LS ) on this site.Ron Lord ,Naples,Fla.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest the Infinium would be the best for saltwater, but not well for fresh. The Infinium has two tone ID for targets, Low-High for most coins and high conductive targets and a High-Low tone for lower conductive targets like gold, pull tabs and iron. So you will be digging more lower conductive targets if you want to find them gold rings. In fresh water a hairpin can last decades before rusting away. http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-electronics-infinium-ls

The Excal on the other hand has a full range of tones and basically nulls on all iron but the larger iron targets. This means it can null on iron while still responding to a gold ring with the nail through it unlike all other none Minelabs. You have to try it to believe it. The Excal is not as deep as a pulse induction unit but with the additional WOT coil it is. If not going in the water the Sov GT is the land version.

Both these detectors have various configurations for carrying on the shaft or hip mounted for comfort. It no doubt is a very hard choice for you. Both these are great detectors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
The Infinium LS is good in fresh and salt water and gos much deeper than the Excal ever dreamed. I own both and like my Infinium the best. check out ( 3ring Day for my Infinium LS ) on this site.Ron Lord ,Naples,Fla.

The Infinium may go deeper then the Excal with the stock 10 inch coil, just my personal opinion, but if you add the Coiltec WOT coil to the Excal I personally feel it will give a PI a run for the money, but with the added features of the Excal's tones, and iron discrimination which is a major plus....I dig no iron ever.....No bobby pins, no fish hooks, no tiny pieces of iron...

I pulled up a HUGE mans 21K (875) wedding band size 12 yesterday and it was deeeeep, easily 16 inches deep, signal was faint but solid in all directions when first heard. I was using the Beach Brute II scoop and I had to dig and dig to get it. I also pulled up a Tiffany silver ring, and 2 mood rings with it yesterday... The Tiffany was also deep but no where near as deep as the man's ring, maybe 8-10 inches, the mood rings were shallow in the 4-6 inch range.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Joe, It sounds like you have used a VLF and like it.
Why not get the Excalibur II and use it for a year.
It will work in fresh water as good as it does in Salt Water.
If you haven't used a PI type detector before I don't recommend you placing all your eggs in that basket.
You can always pick up a used Infinium next year.
If you don't like it you can sell it for most if not all of what you paid.

The Excalibur should be your choice ... IMHO.
For fresh water and even salt water a Fisher CZ-21 would work nice also.

Willee

mtntrekr2 said:
I have my choice but am not sure which way to go.
Most likely the hunting will be fresh water with some trash but not heavy trash.
I do not want to rule out the possibility of getting a chance to use this at the beach in saltwater but it will not be often.
I have a good land md. I am mainly looking for this to be used in the water.
I like the minelab but would just like some thoughts from possibly someone who has used both before I make a purchase.
Thank you for your thoughts
Joe

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
I would like to thank all for your comments. Looks like I am going to go with my first choice and get the excal. Now I just have to find someone with one.
I just called Fla. and they have a waiting list on backorder.
Thank you
Joe

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both, the excal 800 and 1000. And the infinium. For your first water detector, I would go excal II if you can get one. The infinium does go deeper but is a tuff one to learn. {hi-low.....low/hi with the target signal mixed in, so you have 3 different signals over a target...AAAAA! } And really it depends where you detect, and each have there own strenghts. If I have a place where I know there will be targets, I take the Excals, If I have a winter, or sanded in beach, the infinium get the call..but it can be a love , hate adventure for someone new with the LS. The Wot will do as deep, but will weaken the signal of the excal, and you may miss a few smaller targets, where the Ls will get you the smallest piece of wire you never wanted to dig / or treasure........Good Luck.............joe/Obn

Attachments

• location.jpg
    location.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 354

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
OldeBeechnut, thanks for the post!

That's why I have and use an Infinium, CZ20, and Beach Hunter 300!

I now prefer my Infinium on most hunts over the others since I started using the 10x14" mono
coil on the wet sand and water. My gold count has increased and I'm digging older and
deeper pieces of jewelry that many times are just out of the VLF range. That said, the Infinium sure did take time to learn
and it does have a curve that might overwhelm a beginner!!!

In a trashy beach, I'll still grab either VLF first to cover more area, but the PI is able to produce more on the heavily hunted beaches! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mtntrekr2

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
OldeBeechnut I was watching some of your videos on youtube this morning.
Knowing I would be hunting by tone with either md. the hi-low or low-hi of the infinium did seem a little bit ruff to get used to.
Thank you
Joe

D

digum smacks

i owned both and let me give you my take. both machines are great i loved the infinium because when i went over a gold ring i knew it was gold before i dug it.i owned me excal for 3 years and you would think when i went over a gold ring i would know it by now,not the case,now i dont know if its just the machine i have and i dont think its my ears,it may even be the crappy head phones,but every ring i find is a surprise,and that makes me a little angry.on the upside you dont dig as much crap.but also with the infinium i could tell junk from good alot of times.both detectors have little things better than each other but all in all i would rate both machines from 1-10 they both get a solid 8.5 the aquasound gets a solid 9 and they dont make a 10 yet :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread