excalibur preset controls

RL48off

Greenie
Jul 29, 2011
I have a new minelab excalibur and a friend of mine told me today that he was told a few yrs ago how to startup the minelab excalibur. He said first put it in pinpoint...2) turn the sensitivity fully off (clockwise) 3) turn on threshold and adjust for a faint hum.
4) return sensitivity to Auto Position 5) then turn from PP to discriminate.

Can anyone agree or does it matter. is their a special way for hunting the beach water or wet sand. ???

When you do first start it up on the beach should the coil be on the ground or inthe air ????
Thanks
Ron

Attachments

• up the cazukie.jpg
    up the cazukie.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 859
Upvote 0

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard that one should set threshold in pinpoint mode at the lowest sensitivity before hunting in discriminate mode. Hunting in auto sensitivity is a reasonable suggestion, at least until you get more familiar with how it works. Simply put sensitivity in auto, turn the machine on, adjust threshold to a light hum, and start hunting. No need to get overly complicated.

Swing the coil low or even across the ground. No need to really worry about the coil position when turning it on, although I guess technically it might be a little safer to be up in the air so that your initial threshold adjustment is not affected by an accidental target. Dig targets, learn the tones, and most importantly enjoy yourself! Good luck!

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
welcome to TN & congrats on your new detector !!! you picked one of the best !!! HH

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought would be why the process? Im assuming the sensitivity being off keeps it from picking up outside interference or targets close to the coil. Why not just ground balancing in the air. Now i do turn it on in PP just because i like the threshold and it does tell you if there is a target immediately when you move the coil. Thou it kind of makes since for smooth operation i dont think you are getting the best out of the machine in Auto. Also.... few yards down the beach and everything changes..... with auto sensitivity. To me i see nothing wrong with the process for a good GB and smooth operation must like preparing for air testing inside.... but i dont believe its going to set it up any better once you start to hunt.

Dew

OP
OP
RL48off

RL48off

Greenie
Jul 29, 2011
Ok so another word Automatic setting isn't the best because it doesn't change as you move along the beach ??? It seems to me that I find more clad when I put sensitive on 5,6,7, I'm thinking that automatic should change as you move along the beach and keep the best setting ......is that right or wrong ?

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RL48off said:
Ok so another word Automatic setting isn't the best because it doesn't change as you move along the beach ??? It seems to me that I find more clad when I put sensitive on 5,6,7, I'm thinking that automatic should change as you move along the beach and keep the best setting ......is that right or wrong ?

Auto does automatically adjust for ground conditions so it is useful for a newbie as well as if you are in an area where the ground conditions are constantly changing. However I think as you get to know your machine, at least in some cases you may be able to get better depth using a manual setting.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auto sensitivity may over compensate for minerals, EMI, and moisture to allow the machine to run smoothly. Kind of like a vehicle.... then put a chip in it and suddenly you have more power and get better gas mileage. Once you learn your machine you know how to get the most out of it based on the conditions and targets.

Dew

OP
OP
RL48off

RL48off

Greenie
Jul 29, 2011
OK their are a few mixed reviews.. I seem to be doing better with the sensitivity set at 12, 1,2 O'clock on the beach..... One last question. Head phones for the Soverin Gt How many Ohms should I look for. Koss head phones has 100 ohms is that good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread