Excalibur question.

I've been hunting with my Excalibur now for almost 3 weeks. Just curious what is the best way to set the sensitivity.

I have been setting it on Auto for both the sand and the water. I started experimenting the other day and found that if I set the sensitivity just past the click from Auto, I naturally can detect deeper, in fact I found 3 5c pieces (Australian) that simply could not be heard on Auto as I would switch it back and forth. Of course I also found more junk. I am guessing I got at least another 4" maybe more in depth.

When I tried to use the manual sensitivity in the water however it was a lot more jumpy as the water shifted to different depths as the waves come in.

So I am just curious as to how others set their sensitivity at the beach.

Also I did a test in my back yard with a silver necklace, gold necklace, gold band, and white gold band and 50c piece (Australian). It seemed that the silver necklace sounded very much like a coin, the two gold rings had a similar pitch to the coin, but more of a dull sound as did the gold necklace. However the gold necklace would only beep when I had the coin practically touch it. With the other items they would sound with the coil 6-12" above the objects. Is this consistant with what others have found?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Statenisland Keith

Nov 7, 2004
Hi i use an Excalibur. I keep my sensitivity about 11 O'Clock. If my threshold is eratic i will turn it up a bit more. Discrimination i never put it past the #2 setting. If the beach you are hunting has alot of mineralization then adjust your sensitivity accordingly. Get use to the low tones. When You hit a low tone slowly go past the target and then come back. If you get a brief silence (the threshold dissappears) then you probably have a bottelcap. By all means dig everything until you get familiar with all the tones.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEA. I too use the Excal and have used it for a few years wading and diving. You can set your sensitivity just off AUTO for max. depth, but not all areas can use this much power and you will get the false signals. You don't say where the Disc. is set, but I set mine as low as I can turn the knob, #1. I usually set mine at Auto for some beaches and as much as I can for others, it's not chiseled in stone. what size coil are you using?

The Excal will not read good in air tests and the targets should be buried. Some Excals are hotter than others too, but most read on a neckless just like yours, don't worry about it. If your scooping' up those chains sounds, your also digging BB's and birdshot, time which could be better spent swinging for the big rings just a few steps away. If your lucky, Neilo will post here too. He's a pro and hunts those beaches.

HH,
Sandman

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman, I have an excalibur 800 which I guess means an 8" coil. Would I be able to change it out with a 10"? And what advantage would that lead to? The settings you describe in your post, are they used with a 10"?

Would like to read other posts from those versed with excalibur, such as Neilo....... :o

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The settings are the same no matter which coil size you use. I haven't seen any difference and I have two Excals, a 1000 and 800.

You can change the coil size by sending it back to Minelab since it is hard wired. Tesoro Tiger Shark is the only water machine I have that I can change the coils myself, and there are three coils I can use. The advantage to having the larger coil is being able to detect deeper, and the biggest advantage is in covering more cubic inches per sweep. If your coil field doesn't pass over the target, it don't BEEP. There are disadvantages too, like heavier and harder to use in a very trashy area. But I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

You can send Neilo a private message.

Sandman

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hey sandman,

thanks for the tips. And your right, I forgot all about the coil being hard wired. I'll make some calls about obtaining a 10 incher.

And I agree, I'd rather have alittle more depth at the price of receiving more "trash" signals...........

J

jerseybones

Hi Ric, You can get a waterproof connector and other coils for the Excalibur but keep in mind that it will void any warranty that you may have. I have a 15in. coil for mine that I use for beach and land hunting- It works great and goes deep. A 10in. coil is good for water or land use and the 8 in. is best in the water or very trashy land sites hope this helps. Good Hunting, Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions