Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Midas_touch

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its just the battery that is cracked then buying a new one is your best solution. If its the actual housing for the motherboard then there can be problems. Sometimes it's just the oring seals that need to be replaced and those are pretty easy to get. If you replace them make sure you put a coat of silicone grease on them. But if the endcaps are cracked or leaking you are pretty much screwed. Getting new encaps is pretty much impossible. unless you know someone with an extra set you are going to have a hard time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excal Sword is an older Excal and I wouldn't buy it for diving. I am a diver myself, or I was. I've used 1280 and Tiger Sharks in fresh water along with Excal 1000 and CZ-20 while diving in fresh and saltwater. I've also used a few pulse Induction detectors. I have a 1600 ah Nimh battery on my Excal.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Midas
Getting new encaps is pretty much impossible. unless you know someone with an extra set you are going to have a hard time.

I just bought a lathe and hope to have endcaps for both models come early spring.
OBN0006.jpg

I agree with Sandman n Midas, Excellent machine but over 15 years old, time and the elements can take a toll on the seals and cords. On the O-Rings for the knob shafts, and the endcaps, if replaced the unit should be pressure tested or at least keep under in a feshwater pool for a extented period of time for testing. On this model, the oldtimers use to pull the sword part of the decal off of the main pod to keep a eye open for leaks. If it were me, I would keep this one for wetsand and short dips.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
go new if you can, I agree with OBN.... short dips only or your asking for trouble......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab says they are no longer repairing that model, so if you have problems you might be SOL. I wouldn't even let a wave hit it until all the seals were replaced. 15 years can result in completely destroyed o-rings.

OP
OP
R

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you I am get ing a excal 2 thank you all very much for your time and input Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread