Excalibur...straight shaft...tell me what you know

Birdman1

Jul 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's XLT and Surf Pro PI, Minelab Excal 1000
I tried the chest mount the other day and had to give up on it. The strap made my neck and shoulder hurt. I have a disc problem in my neck and I was afraid this would happen. Kellyco finally sent me the hip mount but I don't think I will like that either. So thought I would just ask about the straight shaft. Is it noticeably easier to swing in the water? How about on the dry sand, easier to swing there? This time next week I will be on my way to Florida and will probably just keep the stock shaft on it, but would like to hear your thoughts on the straight shaft.....Thanks

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I have the straight shaft on mine and love it. With your medical condition, I do not want to say that is the cure all. The detector has some weight to it as it is, but I find the straight shaft less tiring and in the water it works well with slow sweeps as the is water resistance anyway. Hope this helps.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Get or make a straight shaft-it is the only way to go with the Excal and wading. You can get the tubing from Aircraft spruce, A bike end bar off the web or a bike shop and make a arm cup out of PVC or aluminum flat stock all for under $50.00

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlike Lost at Sea, I don't like the Straight Shaft. We're all different. What I didn't like about it was the extra weight it put on the arm instead of the weight on the neck strap. Everytime you needed to use the arm, you had to remove it from the cuff strap and then reinsert the arm back into the cuff loop. No big deal and I could have gotten used to it.

I got my straight shaft from Reilly's and had to modify the placement of the cuff more toward the handle so it wouldn't rub my forearm. I just didn't like the weight on my swinging arm and mount all my detectors around my neck. Unlike my profile pic which has my CZ20 hipmounted.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
What I did to solve the chafing problem was to glue with GOOP a piece of a mouse pad to the cuff and then use 2 pieces of duct tape on my arm when I am not in a wet suit. Looks like hell but it sure works. I also put a T handle on my digger so I can dig with one hand and not have to remove my arm from the detector but different strokes for different folk's. Whatever works and you are comfortable with ;D

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
I hip mount my control box (In water, chest mount would be better), and use a harness system (There are various types to try).
HH Ray

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It really depends on the shape your body is in and personal perference. As long as my arms are fit, I will always swing the excal on a straight shaft. I would never put a harness around my neck or on my waist, A lot of times detected on the beach, I'm just in a skimpy pair of shorts. IMO, the excal is made for the water and much easy to detect waist deep with her submerged. ;)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the straight shaft and then try it on the rod ar any other way you like. I use to use it on the back of Fla Straight shaft, but I tried using the hipmount hung around my neck and found that is what I prefer. I like having the controls under my chin, easy to adjust, and for me no problems with my neck.

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
I use a straight shaft and love it. The only thing a straight shaft does i think is it puts the more bend on the wire of the head phones at the control. What i do is i put tape around the the top of the control to the wire so it don't put alot of bend on the wire where it comes out of the control box. It kinda looks like a small loop at the top of the control box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions