Excalibur users......Coil cover question for you.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
No CC for me-marine epoxy= end of problem :thumbsup:

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Walmart has liquid nails sealant, clear seal.

I have used it on both of my excalibur units and on my se and sd2200 gold detector.

Make sure the coil cover is clean and what i did is make a thick bead inside the coil cover sides all around then put the cover on the coil and hold a little pressure so the cover is on all the way and the extra sealant will come out.
And with a small carboard or anything run it around the outside and inside of coil to make sure the sealant is smoothed evenly.

This brand sealant has held up over a year at the beach and surf with no problems.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use silicone sealant (bathtub caulk) around the gap of the coil cover till black sand got in through a small crack in the sealant to mess things up. It was heck to remove the cover to clean it out. Now I use Marine epoxy on the coil. This is Max of VA's idea and it works great.

Another idea is to just tape on the coil cover and then remove it after each hunt to remove the black sand if you think you might want to sell the unit some day.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
The silicone sealant that i use is different than bathtub caulk.

This sealant made buy Liquid nails is a clear sealant, Clearer than silicone.

Its a all purpose sealant,

Stays crystal clear- Will not yellow-"Weather-proof" seal
Excellent Adhesion and "Flexibilty"

The caulk sandman refers to i would not want to use either, But this clear seal by Liquid nails has not failed under the powerfull surf conditions i have detected in.

Also has a 50 year durability label.

And when i sent my excalibur to Minelab to have changes done the service department liked what i did and the way it has sealed.

Over a year now and the silicone still maintains a strong bond and shows no signs of breaking down like normal silicone would,.

Comes in a 5 1/2 fl oz tube enough to do two coils

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sent my ex cal. ll in for repairs and while I had the rep from Minelab on the phone I asked that very question. I was told that epoxy will void the warranty and they said to use silicone....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Sandman said, if you ever want to sell the unit, there are many who will not buy if it has been permanently sealed. I myself would not buy as I would have no way of knowing if the sealed cover is covering a damaged coil.

FloridaBill got same answer I got when I emailed Minelab asking about epoxy, it voids the warranty if it is still under one.

Just my own opinion...........

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
I'm paraphrasing what Beckson says about installing their plastic portholes: Do use pure silicone caulk. You will be able to remove it when the time comes. Don't use 3M 5200 of similar polysulfide. It's TOO strong and nothing removes it except hammer and chisel.

Chip V.
the amateur boatbuilder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread