Excall 1000 and stress crack

Bigfoot

Dec 16, 2007
I just purchased a used Excal 1000. I noticed some small stress cracks around a couple of the holes were the control unit mounts to the shaft. The person I bought it from did have it mounted on a straight shaft. Is this something that I should be worried about? Could this be from over tightening mounting bolts when mounted on a straight shaft.? Thanks

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If you are talking about the plastic ears (best way I think to describe what I am thinking), if it were be I would use some 5 minutes epoxy on the outside where the cracks are just add some strength to the part. It might not matter but I would rather be safe than sorry. If you bought it secondhand, you have no warranty and would be charged to have fixed at the factory. They might not ever break but do you want to take that chance?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TN.....

I would do as FarmerCal suggest if it was me and then not worry about it. It will not affect the performance of the unit, you cant really lose the control unit even if it fell off as it is attached to your coil and your headset.

If you sent it in to Minelab, they may repair it for free or charge you, their choice since no warranty, but even if it was free you will still pay for shipping both directions and in my opinion it wouldn't be worth the cost for just stress cracks. I bet the Epoxy would take care of it, heck it may work better..... ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Farmercal nailed it. You could also slip a rubber band around the unit to hold it against the shaft in case it does break free. You won't lose it but it could stop any stress on the cables. Cut a couple of plastic ears and epoxy them to the ears with the stress cracks. Even if the ears completely fall off, you can carry the controls in a bag from your neck.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
B

Bigfoot

Dec 16, 2007
Thanks for the info. The cracks are very small and short. I think I will drill a very small hole at the end of the cracks if they get any bigger. This will stop it from cracking any further. I was just wondering if this was normal. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread