Exception to the rule

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
When is there an exception to the "always buy them all" rule? When they won't sell them all to you.

Stopped by a bank I rarely go to to dump some halves today. The machine filled up after just $15, and when the teller came to change the bag I looked inside and saw white rims! I knew the teller wouldn't sell it to me, so I went to the manager. Turns out the branch manager just got the position, and had been the assistant manager from one of the other branches I frequent. I congratulated him on his promotion and explained that I wanted to buy the bag, explaining (truthfully) that I had bought bags from other branches before. Unfortunately, he didn't know how and asked the head teller for assistance, who informed him it was impossible.

I explained to the manager why I wanted to buy the bag, and pointed out the silver rims through the plastic. He reiterated that he couldn't sell it to me, so I asked if he would let me exchange some of my halves for the silver ones. He agreed, but insisted on being the one to pull out the coins, and only at the tellers window so it would be recorded by the security cameras. I helped him turn and shake the bag, and I'm pretty sure we got the vast majority of not all of the silver.

End result, seven 40%'ers, one 1964, and one Walking Liberty.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488050113.091328.jpg

I will ask one of the other managers to tactfully explain to this guy that it is ok to sell bags so I can buy them in the future, though I probably won't have time to buy this bag. I did thank the manager profusely, and will of course add this branch to the ones that I bring in treats for.

In the end, it really is all about the relationships you build with people.

FT

Last edited:
Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
big question------------------------what brand is the machine? nice to find a dump bank machine that takes silver.
your negotiating skill was rewarded

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Not sure what the brand is. It counts and sorts coins into coinlok bags fitted over a bin for each denomination. It usually rejects silver and wheats, but obviously not always!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread