Feb 25, 2012
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Bounty Hunter VLF
Bounty Hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow hunters, I was just wondering if excessive heat can effect the way a metal detector works?
I just got a BH 505 and was out detecting for 4 hours, the temp was 114 with heat index, after about 2 hours
I noticed I kept getting all these beeps of different tones, I wasn't even sweeping and it just kept beeping high
and lows, I did find about $2 in clad but the ground was so hard it made it difficult to dig, has anyone else had problems
with a detector in 114* temps?
Thnx for reading and HH
-Orbitz

Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I know for sure that the heat effects the person using the detector.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure either. My Fisher manual warns against keeping your detector in your car or trunk in summer, but cars get a lot hotter than 114. Perhaps you were over highly mineralized soil?

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
but why hunt in that heat anyway? You have to be very careful make sure you have plenty of water or gatorade type drinks. We are looking at well over 108 before the heat index for the next week here in Oklahoma. so little to no hunting for me.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heat index does not effect non-living things. Now living in Texas, we have a little bit a heat down here, not much mind you. :laughing7: The heat has never effected my md.

The dry ground might cut down on the depth a little, but digging in the hard ground effect the detectorist much more.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure either. My Fisher manual warns against keeping your detector in your car or trunk in summer, but cars get a lot hotter than 114. Perhaps you were over highly mineralized soil?

Okay now, I’ll stick my neck on the chopping block here. All feel free to take at chop.:icon_scratch:

Leaving the md in the car on a hot summer day, I think has to do more with the md expanding and shrinking than it does with the heat, after it's not going to melt. The find circuits on the mother board could break from the expanding and shrinking.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusrat, you're probably right. I wouldn't expect anything to melt, but warping etc I'm sure could cause problems. Also, think about when computers overheat. Dunno.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for hunting in the heat, NJLargeCent and I are returning to a great spot tomorrow. Last time we hit it was 98 degrees and we were out for 8 hours. With a "cool" 92 for tomorrow, we hope to be out longer. But skies will be threatening... Always keep hydrated, properly clothed, and in good shape.

And if no one minds a cheap plug ... well, a FREE plug! I work for American Red Cross on the digital and mobile team. We have a new free iPhone and Android first aid app, which has info on heat stroke/exhaustion, both on how to prepare and deal with the problems when they arise. Good resource. Also has info on ticks/bites, wounds, etc.

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
had a friend with an etrac. He left it in his vehicle well lets just say it fried the machine. Minelab said do not do that again. Granted the machine turned on and such but was just hard pressed to find anything deep with it.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't hunt in this kind of heat unless I have a once in a life time or very limited opportunity or I'm water hunting. However, my assumption is that the excessive heat would affect operation of some metal detectors. We know heat can "rev up" batteries, so maybe that's part of what's going on.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Orbitz, I dont know about the heat affecting the md butI do know I had a similar response from my bh1-d/505 when the batteries were apparently dieing out . Try changing batteries.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread