Exchanging silver for silver

salaloid

Jan 26, 2009
Has anyone here have tried to exchange any other type of silver for silver coins. In addition to coin roll hunting I also do metal detecting. I have found a few silver jewelry pieces. Im curious to know if a pawnshop will exchange the amount of silver in the jewelry for the same amount in coins silver content. Will they charge a premium because they are coins? Or will you be able to get the same amount of silver in coins without paying more for them?

Has anyone here tried this?

Upvote 0

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT............SHOW ME A NON-PROFIT PAWN SHOP AND I''LL SELL YOU THAT TOWER IN PARIS!

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
While I agree they wouldn't do it for free, there's likely a good chance you could throw in a few bucks as a 'fee' and they'd go for it.

I also collect morgans and took a poor/fair condition 1879 to my local coin shop where there's a bucket of morgans for $13 each. I picked out the identical date and traded the coins and gave the dealer a $1.

My coin for that date went from a fair/poor to a vg for a $1 upgrade. Likewise, I would think any dealer/store would do a similar transaction (+/- numismatic value) for a small fee.

Let us know how that works for you.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
solariscool said:
You'd probably be better off selling on ebay and then buying the silver you want.

I stay away from pawn shops for buying or selling. If you have a local coin shop that is reasonable, you could try trading with them and you might come out alright, but would have to throw a few bucks into any type of trade unless it is one where you are trading a higher premium item for a lower premium one.

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Last season I found a few pieces of jewelry while metal detecting,sold it to a pawn shop,and bought halves or Silver Eagles with the proceeds. I do the same thing with the junk coins I find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread