Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back on campus with the CZ 21 today and worked more of the grass strips in the parking lot. Working slowly and gridding it all so I get most of the goodies. Found 100 coins with a face value of $6.08, some keys, a 2005 graduation fob, and then I went back to the soccer field and found some oldies, but goodies.

B1481689-7B4A-4E70-8AA5-4FE6C1DAEB58.jpeg

I can only take about 2 or 3 hours of slow swingin in the junk filled parking strip and finding mostly pennies before I need a break. So today I went back to the soccer field where I found the gold class ring yesterday hoping to make it gold 2 days in a row. It was not to be. I did get a nice high tone that was a small sterling ring with pictographs on it. The sterling mark on the inside is repeated in an odd script I can’t identify.

9F4636AC-B453-42C0-A0B6-161CCA6734A4.jpeg 7B102FC6-8D56-45D4-A45B-43DE995E9950.jpeg

I found a dropped .58 cal. minieball, an odd style buckel which could be civil war era or could be much newer. I am not sure about the buckel. Then I got another nice high tone I thought was another coin. I popped the plug and pinpointed the target then broke the plug. Sitting right on top was a button. Most of what I find on campus is modern with only a rare oldie from the farm so I thought this was a modern one. It was only 1.5 inches down and it was pretty clean with some dirt caked on the back. It was also in decent shape and the acid soil really eats up the older buttons around here. I had feeling it might be good, but I was not sure so I put it in the padded finds box instead of the nail apron and finished up. When I got home and cleaned the dirt off of the back I saw the writing and knew I had a flat button. On a hunch I looked up 7 pointed star flat button and found out I had a Cherokee Nation button that is believed to have been used by Cherokee who fought with the confederacy during the civil war.

2917BDA3-F39E-4CB7-AD23-C1197B223028.jpeg 1E63587C-6034-4D8A-8D62-0E79EC145111.jpeg

For me this is a bucket listed type find, not because it is on my list (until I found this I didn’t know they existed), but because it is unusual to find this type button in our area. It is shankless but I am really happy and excited about this one anyway.

C13BBAED-D885-4598-A008-FAA354E2E081.jpeg A5617C10-1751-488F-9C10-153BFEEAFAD3.jpeg

(I didn’t get a dirt picture of the button because I thought it was modern:BangHead:)

I am not surprised that I am finding civil war items since there were a lot of troops in the area during the war. Even so it is really great when you find them. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 25

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That button is an amazing find... take care of it!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button that's a price

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button is quite rare, only a few known examples exist. Dug examples usually range around $250-300 and are the most sought after. They were actually manufactured for the Cherokee Nation before the Civil War (1830-40's), and were used by the North Carolina Cherokee Indian Brigade of Thomas' Legion during their enlistment. A very awesome find and save. I'd be contacting a museum if it were mine. :notworthy:

https://www.georgewashingtoninaugur...ious-state-militia-buttonsinfantry-artillery/

(edited to add: Please excuse my enthusiasm, but my ancestor was in that Brigade.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button is quite rare, only a few known examples exist. Dug examples usually range around $250-300 and are the most sought after. They were actually manufactured for the Cherokee Nation before the Civil War (1830-40's), and were used by the North Carolina Cherokee Indian Brigade of Thomas' Legion during their enlistment. A very awesome find and save. I'd be contacting a museum if it were mine. :notworthy:

https://www.georgewashingtoninaugur...ious-state-militia-buttonsinfantry-artillery/

(edited to add: Please excuse my enthusiasm, but my ancestor was in that Brigade.)

More great info, thanks. If my ancestor had been in that brigade I would feel the same way.

This button was already special to me and now it’s even better. Keep swingin.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post picture of front and back close up by itself? What a tremendous find.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh, I have an ancestor who was in the Thomas legion, walkers brigade, company G. He was from Jefferson county Tennessee but joined Thomas legion in North Carolina, the legion was also know as the 69th North Carolina, very cool find

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 38

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds. The button is a great piece of history and YOU saved it. Congrats!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an outstanding button find. I hope that one holds a prominent place in your display case.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never knew about that button thanks to the members of Tnet you learn. What a awesome button which such history. I love when you find something good and when you put it on Tnet you find out its great. 2 highs on one find I love that. Congratulations

awdw

Jun 19, 2017
Awendaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I would have never thought the Cherokees would have helped either side fight at that point in time.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close ups of button

Can you post picture of front and back close up by itself? What a tremendous find.

I am traveling so the best I can do is a zoomed in copy of the front and back.

D11DCC7E-C352-4414-8527-60CE9549CAD7.jpeg 85B0C64D-E09B-4DBB-A764-45833DD87A38.jpeg

I hope this will do.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an outstanding button find. I hope that one holds a prominent place in your display case.

I had planned on donating the older farm finds to the county museum. I make up riker boxes of my better finds that might be interesting to the public and use them when I do detecting presentation. So far I have done seven for different groups. The boxes are all scheduled to go to the county museum eventually and I am thinking that this might make the campus finds go to the museum a little sooner.

I already have a display at a local brew house that includes a 6 pound solid shot civil war cannon ball from the farm at that location. The original owner of the farm was the owner of a mill located at a battlefield and it is believed that he brought the cannon ball home after the battle. The artifacts are on long term loan with the provision that if the business closes they come back to me or if I have passed they go to the museum.

I believe that when we save the history from the ground we should share it and preserve it for the future.

Thanks to all for the great info and comments. You are a great bunch. Keep swingin and may your coil lead you to good things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread