Exclusive on T-Net. RARE Fresh Water Swordfish Discovered.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I decided it was too hot not to go out and try to relax today. So back to ye old beach. My very first find was the swordfish. One of my favorites today actually. Tried to find a new target rich environment and that turned into a disaster. I even KNOW BETTER than to do what I did. However, I did it anyway!

I was sticking my coil down into the weeds and I get a mid tone. Clean out the weeds and dig a buffalo. I clear some more weeds and get a high tone. That gets me another walker. My 10th one for the year and my 9th out of this spot. I have less than 250lbs of air left. So what do I do? I go to the surface and THINK I can figure out where I am. I usually leave my dive float at a spot and get a new tank and go back to the float. But NOOO. I decide I can find the spot again. LOL no such luck! Got a new tank and went back in. Can't find anything I remembered. Well at least I know I will find it again one day. Hopefully there is a lot more in that area.

So my only silver coins are the 1940 walker, a Washington and a war nickel. One silver ring, a silver bracelet and a silver ball pendant. 6 wheat's oldest is 1927.

It was a nice refreshing day in the river. Thanks for reading. Enjoy the pictures as usual.

Upvote 37

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds-

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to reel us in :laughing7: Nice finds.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Finds! :occasion14:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...truly jealous land-lubber here! The only spots that are pounded out where you detect...are the ones you've pounded! Always enjoy your underwater trinkets....ddf

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9.gif

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you ever thought of making markers to drop out there - either using lead sinkers with something attached to them by string or line that floats
like 2 feet off the bottom and are visible to you - paint with something you can see thru the grasses - or painting rocks with symbols
only you know - I used to find golf balls on the bottom at certain spots and would used them as markers for awhile - I knew a guy that would just use a small empty water bottle and attatch fishin line with a sinker and mark where he started - in low light you could always insert a glow stick
just some thoughts

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds to "sail" away on but ya reeled us in

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice collection of goodies, congratulations!

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks once again for sharing your hunt with us. Is the swordfish an emblem from an older pleasure craft?

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
have you ever thought of making markers to drop out there - either using lead sinkers with something attached to them by string or line that floats
like 2 feet off the bottom and are visible to you - paint with something you can see thru the grasses - or painting rocks with symbols
only you know - I used to find golf balls on the bottom at certain spots and would used them as markers for awhile - I knew a guy that would just use a small empty water bottle and attatch fishin line with a sinker and mark where he started - in low light you could always insert a glow stick
just some thoughts

Yep. and I have two small water bottles and duck decoy weights in my float with no string attached. I realized that I wouldn't have enough air to cut my float line and tie it on to the bottles until it was too late. Actually I might have had enough air. I didn't want to chance it. Solving that problem before I go out again!

I have never found a swim area this large before. Most the ones on inland lakes are a lot smaller. Very easy to know where you are. That is why I wasn't prepared but I knew what I wanted to do. Just never finished my project.

Thanks once again for sharing your hunt with us. Is the swordfish an emblem from an older pleasure craft?

No, it is just a pin missing the pin part. A little longer than a standard house key.

Thanks everyone. Going back out tomorrow. Today I think I am going to take it easy. LOL well it's early, time will tell

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Dat's sum good stuff right there! Gotta luv that fish!

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wow...truly jealous land-lubber here! The only spots that are pounded out where you detect...are the ones you've pounded! Always enjoy your underwater trinkets....ddf

Yes and that is part of the reason I detect the way I do. Diving. Every year I stumble upon areas like this. Pounded to death by waders but never been touched over their heads. Last year I found an old beach on an inland lake. Got a few Barber coins BUT 19 gold rings in one weekend. A couple of years ago I found an old swim area, 34 pieces of silver and 6 gold rings in a 3 hour dive. This place is so huge and so overgrown it will take a very long time to find good pockets of finds. I have hit a couple but I am positive there are many more. So I just keep finding the stragglers and that is ok with me. I still haven't taken a picture of one of the things I am finding to let me know where people were. Now that I have let everyone know, I will take one next dive.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you ever get skunked? Lol Another KILLER hunt!!

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Do you ever get skunked? Lol Another KILLER hunt!!

It really depends on where I go. If I go to some of the popular swim areas where waders can get at it yes. I find new clad but no silver or gold.

I think at this time it is totally impossible for me to get skunked where I am at. All I have to do is play in the weeds and I will find silver and gold.

Look at the picture. That was 1917.

They opened the bath house that could handle over 6000 people in 1909. It was used until the early 1960's. I am the only diver that has hit it that I know of.

Look at how huge the dock was.

I have only found the right side in the picture and a small part of the line in the middle. You notice the tower and slides are gone from it. No idea when this one was taken. If I come back skunked, it will be because I couldn't find a spot that anyone played in the water at there. It would take an army of divers with detectors to clear this spot out.

Here is another picture I haven't posted yet.

There is a chance the cut off metal parts I found are part of one of these slides and not the radio tower. If so, I have only found one of the slide sides. I haven't found any other footings and the big chain I found could have held the small piece of dock down that is on the right of the second slide. However this is all a big GUESS.

But when you have thousands of people a day, from 1909 - the 1960's how can anyone not find anything? I know some is buried way beyond my detectors reach. I have dug down over a foot for swim buckles and the things I haven't shown. So some coins and rings are completely out of reach for now. I probably have not detected over a 10th of the spot. I have to find the other side of the H dock and where the other slide was. I will hit more pockets of finds. Just a matter of time and luck.

Thanks for the replies. I know this is a rare adventure for most of you. Every place you hit is hammered especially in Florida. I don't have that problem up here. The lakes are too cold and dirty for many to be interested. I learned to dive in Okinawa in 1980. I can adapt to different situations and don't have a problem with zero visibility.

One more observation. The water is a LOT higher now. There is absolutely no beach. You go from land right into the river. If I could move a very thick carpet of 12 - 18" high weeds, have the current take away over a foot of muck to get down to the fine gravel, I know there is an absolute treasure trove hiding under all that stuff.

Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes it just takes a day to re-group. Glad ya got out.

What are the brass looking rectangles that are such frequent inhabitants of your photos?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread