Exp II descrimination settings

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
OK I have been the bridesmaid so to speak. Everyone I detect with is finding way cool stuff, large cents, standing liberty, etc. I have been running the Exp on Iron mask 7, with sensitivity up to 28 at times. I am digging trash that sounds like good, lincolns ringing near quarter's, and no good stuff so far this year. Granted, I have not been out like last year, but my run of sour luck has to end. So this is a plan I came up with......

I took the descrimintation, and desc'd out all the areas that would not have coin in them. I for now will give up the nickels. I will still run at high sensitivity. I am hoping that I can focus on the good stuff letting the machine do the filtering for now. I really feel that I may be in information overload, digging signals that are borderline, just to dig. You know, well it could be........ Meantime, my partners are pulling out some awesome goods.

Madness has its own limits

Anyone one else in the same boat/done this????

Edit....

Yes I do not use auto sensitivity, I do slow down, I just hear so much that often I am descriminating out due to info overload. I go slow at times, however, I can not spend time in ground not producing, therefor I hope the descrim speeds things up. If the target is good, it will not show in the low conductivity areas 95% of the time. I just want to get a start on this season, which seems to be slow for me at the moment. Nickels I can live without for now.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't see the point of doing that because you will only mask good targets more, nickels and other lower sounds are easy to distinguish from coins so why not let your ears sort it out. Good luck is often produced by user experience. In my opinion you should be running lower than -7 and slowing down and learning to sort out the mess, it's what the experienced guys do and they're usually the ones digging the good finds.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Iron mask I run at -6 that seem to be about a good medium. I also run in FAST this shortens the length of the blanking and helps seperate good targets close to trash. Be aware that your good signals are shorter as well. Also run in manual sensitivity. In mineralised ground if you run in auto sensitivity the machine over compensates and lowers its sensitivity too much and you lose depth. Also slow down your sweep speed especialy in trashy areas, this gives the machine time to seperate good targets from bad.Very deep targets give the broken type of signal that are just on the edge of the machines capabilities, go by the tone of the target, the digital numbers are not accurate at depth. hope you can get out and find plenty seeya Neilo ;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run my EXP II with Iron Mask off, unless I can,t stand it. The discrimination setting for coins should pick up a large cent. I you think you are going slow enough slow down again, I sometimes stop and look around every couple of minutes and look around to see if others are digging, (Hint, Hint). If you are getting a lot of false readings especially at the end of the swing, try turning down the sensitivity a little. You cannot turn it off, try it.
I know you don,t want to hear it be the main reason you are not finding any is you are not putting your coil over them. (Sorry). I occasionally have this problem too. I just slow down look over the area and choose the hardest spot to hunt and go for it. That place did not get the pressure open areas get. My last good find 1788 New Jersey Copper came form the edge of a mud hole after I slowed down and got deliberate with a search pattern, a zig zag across the possible trial from a house to an old store.

Ed D.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Just to throw in my 2 cents. My Explorer drove me nuts after I dropped it once! SO I sent it into Minelab and it had a damaged/defective circuit board and a bad internal power connecting ribbon cable.

Since they got it back to me it is a totally different machine. Could be hardware related.

I now run my machine with autosens off, iron mask around -8 to -12. I haven't found any large cents but I have about 20 Silvers and about 60 wheat pennies so far this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread