Expanded Metal - How much is necessary?

280shooter

Greenie
Jul 17, 2010
I have a Keene A52 that I recently picked up. I'm wondering how much expanded metal is needed. Should it be full length?Rubber mat, miner's moss, carpet currently.This is what it looks like:
sluice-keene.jpg

Any other suggestions? Thanks

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
IMHO it all depends on the gold that your getting to figure out what is the best setup for that size gold. every creek/stream is different! i have several setups for my dredge sluice that i can change out depending on where (what state) im at. its rough to get a (one size fits all) but ive found that for my dredge a over/under setup works better for me. this may or may not work for you with just a sluice with your water requirements. but for now just run what youve brung and see how its working for you! then youll have a better idea of what youll need!dont modify the original riffel setup that you have. make another one that will have your new configuration.

OP
OP

280shooter

Greenie
Jul 17, 2010
russau said:
IMHO it all depends on the gold that your getting to figure out what is the best setup for that size gold. every creek/stream is different! i have several setups for my dredge sluice that i can change out depending on where (what state) im at. its rough to get a (one size fits all) but ive found that for my dredge a over/under setup works better for me. this may or may not work for you with just a sluice with your water requirements. but for now just run what youve brung and see how its working for you! then youll have a better idea of what youll need!dont modify the original riffel setup that you have. make another one that will have your new configuration.
Thanks for the info. I will try it as is and see how it works. I'm fairly new at this- just started last summer- so I appreciate the help. - Denny

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
russau hit the nail on the head, run it as is and see how it does. personally as miner mike around my neck of the woods says all its good for is barbequing! lol

OP
OP

280shooter

Greenie
Jul 17, 2010
Thanks for the input. I added some light-gauge raised expanded. I'll try it both ways.
* Also- Hats of to Keene Engineering. I ordered the riffles and they accidentally sent the dredge riffle. I informed them of the mistake and they immediately sent the correct set and told me to keep both. It's nice to find a company with great customer service and I felt that they deserved a mention. - Denny
sluice-keene2.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep i had a similar experience with another product they sold me and i got the same response and service! good people!!they also heavily support those that support small scale mining!

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
280shooter said:
Thanks for the input. I added some light-gauge raised expanded. I'll try it both ways.
* Also- Hats of to Keene Engineering. I ordered the riffles and they accidentally sent the dredge riffle. I informed them of the mistake and they immediately sent the correct set and told me to keep both. It's nice to find a company with great customer service and I felt that they deserved a mention. - Denny
sluice-keene2.jpg

hopefully they will make the same mistake with me :D, i just ordered the a52r, the dredging riffles are a52d(could be dr?), they are a larger hungarian style for fast current!

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
is what you have pictured the hungarian style? the one they sent me looks different from what you have pictured,each riffle looks similar to a crooked "Z"

umpqua_gold

Greenie
Jul 26, 2008
those are the keene dredge riffles for converting the a52 to a highbanker/dredge. Not sure how they will perform as a sluice.

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
umpqua_gold said:
those are the keene dredge riffles for converting the a52 to a highbanker/dredge. Not sure how they will perform as a sluice.

the riffles he has pictured are the dredging riffles?

OP
OP

280shooter

Greenie
Jul 17, 2010
umpqua_gold said:
They did send me the wrong riffles. The order was screwed up somewhere along the line. Keene was kind enough to send the correct set immediately when notified. Good company.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Pictured are dredge riffles,modified hungarian riffles. The have the knife edge seal that DO NOT work with wire under them as with no flat area to seal so you adios your gold outta the botom. Turn on a flashlight a look at all that light---next your gold goes out---John

danielo

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
russau said:

I agree, well said.

Escudoman

Jul 16, 2011
California
We personally do not use any expanded metal. Have found that the matting covered with miners moss does a better job. We use the miners moss over the whole sluice bedd. Traps everything.
Grubby

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
miners moss loads up and will plug up when you slowdown or stop and then it will not losen itself when you start back up. ive seen this on my dredges and switched over to Shaw Carpet/Veranda and its what ill use from now on. i ran my dredge in Colorado last year on the Arkansa River (loads of black sand) and it worked like a charm! even when starting back up, the riffels stayed working and the material was danceing about within the riffel like it should. no more miners moss for me!

aztim1010

Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone see a problem with the following dredge sluice set up?

This will be a 3" dredge with a 14" x 48" sluice box.

Under the riffle set will be:

Rubber v-matting on bottom the whole length then open cell minors moss the whole length then expanded metal the whole length with riffle set on top of it all and clamped down.
I'm curious what everyone thinks???

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread