mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by my local TD branch today to take out some cash and buy a box of nickels. I mentioned to one of the tellers that i was talking to another crher there a few days ago about his search. He also drops off bags at this branch. The teller mentioned to me that they were planning on putting an end to dropping off coin in bags, at least at this branch and closing his account. I asked what he was bringing in per week and was told 10-12 bags per week. I'm currently bringing in 5 bags per week. As I expect to be dropped from TD as well; i've already starting dropping my half dollar orders in anticipation of this. Just a reminder, if you use Penny Arcade as a non-customer, you will be charged a percentage fee that I think is 6%. That's $60 for every $1000 counted thru penny. So, those of you that think it's ok to dump large volumes at one bank, take this as a warning. The tellers may seem ok with it but someone in Corporate may be taking notice. At least i was given early warning, the other fellow is not going to see this coming.
BTW, the nickel box produced 6 war nickels and a 1920 Buffalo. Have a good holiday everyone. MM2

Attachments

• DSCN4256.JPG
    DSCN4256.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN4255.JPG
    DSCN4255.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 89
Upvote 0

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find. congrats!! .this is sad indeed..i just started this hobby but i already feel like we are a plague in every bank tellers eyes based on others experiences here and mine..:sadsmiley:

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you joking or being serious about the 10-12 bag guy? I know who he is and if your location is correct it's probably him!

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Very nice Nickel box MM2.

Sorry to hear what's happening in your area. The hogs have pretty much rooted up everything in my neck of the woods already...not worth dealing with the hassels anymore. It was a nice "hobby" while it lasted.

HH,
CD

Last edited:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say 10-12 bags do you mean 10-12x$500 or 10-12x$100?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find. congrats!! .this is sad indeed..i just started this hobby but i already feel like we are a plague in every bank tellers eyes based on others experiences here and mine..:sadsmiley:

The key from what I learned is to be as pleasant as possible. Think of all the a-holes people at banks deal with. People are so stressed out about their money and getting charged fees etc. and they take it out on the tellers like it's their fault. I guarantee you that they would rather deal with a friendly CRH dropping off bags of coins than some cranky customer going on and on about some fee. This is what we've got working for us. Of course, if you start dropping off too much coin you create extra work for them, and they don't like that either. So split up your dump banks!

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you joking or being serious about the 10-12 bag guy? I know who he is and if your location is correct it's probably him!
Absolutely serious. I'm in Sussex County in Northern NJ.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10-12 $500 bags per week.

That's way too much! You guys in NJ will pretty soon face shut-down from all the banks. Greed just likes cancer it kills.

Tellers at that branch must have spent too much time for 12 bags because the machine needs a re-click for the bag every $100.

For most cases, $1000 of halves per week is fine. For some branches $1000 per month.

AgHawk

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......the machine needs a re-click for the bag every $100.........

I think he means the coins are already in coin lock bags and handed to the tellers for instant cash or for deposit. Not a penny arcade transaction.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he means the coins are already in coin lock bags and handed to the tellers for instant cash or for deposit. Not a penny arcade transaction.
Yes, we are supplied the coin lok bags and fill out the info on the front of the bag and submit it for deposit. I originally was splitting the returns between 2 different branches. One branch awhile back said that whoever was receiving my bags was confused that it was coming from 2 different branches and that i had to pick 1 branch to return coin to. I chose the one closer to home. A short time after that, another half hunter started droppiing off bags at the same branch and that, i believe, is where the trouble started. Too many bags at one branch and someone at corporate took notice.

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take....since you guys are at risk of getting cut off soon, enjoy the party as much as you can until it's over. There are tons of banks up there. It's one of my favorite areas. There have to be some other banks who accept bags. Keep shopping around. I hope you guys find alternatives soon.

OP
OP
mountainman 2

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who? TimZim?
No, it's not Tim. The one i'm referring to is a member of the Coin Community Forum. I don't want to mention him by name and make him look bad. We have met in the lobby and the TD parking lot at least a half dozen times by coincidence. He's a pleasant enough guy to talk to. Between the two of us, we just went overboard at this branch and dropped off too many bags. 15-17 bags a week between the 2 of us is way too much for one branch. When it was just me dropping off there, everything was ok. When it went to 15 bags per week, i could see it made a difference with the tellers.
Also, i did try to split my bags up between various branches. I was originally dumping between 2 branches with 3 bags per branch. Then one branch asked me to pick 1 branch to return to as it was confusing whoever was receiving the bags through TD. I picked the one closer to home. Knowing that 5 bags a week was pushing it, i went to another TD to inquire about dropping off bags. The head teller's response was that they couldn't do it and my original bank shouldn't be doing it either.:dontknow: At that point, i gave up asking.
I also wanted to mention, i'm not new at this. I've been searching halves since late of 2006. At that time, if you searched 10 boxes a week, you were a monster hunter. Now, that almost seems like the norm. I do think the explosion of new half dollar hunters and the increased number of boxes searched per hunter is a contributing factor in what is happening at many banks now. IMO of course.

Last edited:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is a foregone conclusion that the banks will end half ordering. Once the critical mass of the higher ups noticing the cost, its all over. May take years, may not. All depends on how many new searchers join the club. That said, I have noticed 3 other new searchers since I started last October, none of them are still doing it. This endeavor is not for everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread