Experience with APMEX

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want the advice of my fellow CRH's, not the PM people. Anyone deal with APMEX? With AG going down to $19-$23 here within the next 2 months, I want to get about a $1K-$2K worth of the PAMP SUISSE Fortuna bars. Good deal from what Ive seen so far, and I like how APMEX prices fluctuate with the market, unlike Ebay. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've ordered my Canadian wildlife series silver coins from them along with other goodies, I think they are a great site to deal with.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally like Provident, see if they have what you are looking for. There is a good chance you will get a better price.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
While I don't see $19-$23 happening, If you are going to spend at least $2000, Gainesville Coins usually has the best prices even after accounting for a wire tx fee.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never personally dealt with APMEX, but during the 2.5 years that I have been a member here, I can't remember a single negative post about them.

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
I used APMEX a lot a few years ago and I refer to it regularly. You can trust them and they ship quickly. If They do not have an item in stock, they inform you before you order, so you are not waiting weeks or months to get your delivery. Their prices for bullion and bullion coins are pegged to the metals market prices, which they post on each of their pages. They will vary their premiums (price between spot and what they are selling). When you buy, you need to factor in their shipping cost so you know what your delivered price is. Then you can compare with other sources to see if you are getting the best delivered price. I frequently find I can buy the same amounts of gold/silver from other good sources at a lower price. Provident is a good comparison site. I like Bullion Direct. The add a nice wrinkle by offering an auction based site where you can list your own price. I have been doing most of my buying/selling form there. Don't forget to check your local coin dealers. Sometimes you can come across some excellent deals there, too.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally like Provident, see if they have what you are looking for. There is a good chance you will get a better price.

This.

EDIT: Provident's shipping rates are consistently lower than APMEX as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gilmore Happy

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you gentlemen, I think I'll hobble over to Providnet and give it a check. $19-$23 within 2 months DB....going to happen. Im 3 for 3 on this forum on the downswings.

OP
OP
Gilmore Happy

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are right Gilmore. I'm waiting for an under $20 opportunity to buy a crapload.

Just buy in increments on the way down. You'll hardly time the bottom. That way, if it bounces back, you didnt miss out. If it keeps going down increase the volume towards your personal threshold, $20.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never used APMEX personally but never heard a bad thing about them on this forum either, only good things.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've ordered from them a few times and have nothing bad to say about them. They ship via priority mail so you usually have your order in a few days. I always opt for sending a check because at the time I ordered there was a $30.00 fee for using my credit card.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Generally I like using check because, you can lock in your price so the fact that they wont ship till they get the check and it clears is no big deal, and you get to save a little bit of money per ounce over paying w a credit card. Customer service wise, never had issues w provident, once they do ship, quick, secure, sign for delivery, none descriptive address and doesnt say provident on it anywhere. I bet APMEX does the same. I would hold off from buying now though, price keep plummeting

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only ordered once so my "experience" is limited. But I found for a small order, their shipping / handling was pretty high, but I knew that going in to the deal. It was my first silver buy, and I only bought 2.5 oz total and paid something like $12 - $15 shipping. That being said, it did arrive in a secure nondescript package. Again, it was my first buy, so I didnt really pay too much attention to the shipping price, just anxious to get my coins!

OP
OP
Gilmore Happy

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I half-pulled the trigger tonight as silver is in the $27 range. I bought 20 ounces from Provident just now, as they are better priced than APMEX. Johnson bars, $29.90 an ounce! However, APMEX does have a much better variety for the PAMP SUISSE Fortuna bars. Im going to let silver come down a bit before unloading on those...they carry such a premium, but are so darn sexy.

Anyways, thanks again for all the advice. And to think Ive spent $1,000's on Ebay already...oh well, you live and learn. Not going to matter when silver is $100+ per ounce anyway

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions