Experience with large GT coils...

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do any of you folks use the larger coils with the SOV GT?

I am considering getting one for the dry and wet. At this time, I have no experience with them at all.

The goal of course is to increase the depth of my machine and have more fun.

Any problem with pin pointing? How much deeper? ETC.

Any down side to them? Other then weight.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ralph, I have only used a WOT coil on my Sov a few times and liked it for the area it covered and depth per sweep. However I never did buy one because I had to return to Michigan. I haven't used any of the others. Treasure Hunter uses them all the time and should reply here soon. I would say to get one as soon as possible.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Interested here also, but around the 12 inch area..like the sunray 12, or the excelerator 12.5.

May 6, 2009
I use the 15" wot on my Sov. Get it! It's kind of heavy but I think the extra coverage and depth make up for it. Deepest good target was a quarter at a good 20" and various large garbage over 2'. Having to dig so deep is my only complaint ;) search the forum for a post on pinpointing technique, doesn't take long to master.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the WOT coil just plug right in to the machine, or do you have to open the control box for installation?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Does the WOT coil just plug right in to the machine, or do you have to open the control box for installation?

With the Sovereign you just plug it in as just like other land detectors.

surfdog

Oct 15, 2003
Great Plaines
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
I have used both the WOT and the 12" excellerator. Several of both. I settled on the excellerator as I felt it ran more stable for me on my machine and was as sensitive. Good luck in your choice. :thumbsup:
Bill

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the reply's.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Don't have a GT but run WOT's on 2 of 3 excal's Will do 3rd when warranty runs out....GO 4 IT :icon_thumleft:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wot is great

deep and great coverage............ruffff in the waves

no fun...........

S12 sunray...........is great................little more fun

stock 10"..........can't beat it

some like the sef 12 x 15.............much like the wot............maybe more stable in waves

not fun

Bobbie

Nov 7, 2005
Connecticut and SW Florida
Detector(s) used
2 Minelab Excal 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a WOT on my GT........it was heavy, did not slice through the waves easily and did not have any more depth than a SunRay 12. I presently have a 12 on my Excal and really like it for the depth, pinpointing and the ease that it slides through the water. If you are a big strong person with a strong arm then go for the WOT.......it is good but you will tire easily.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread