Experienced with invention submission??

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
So Im driving to the local home center to purchase a product that I have never seen...but they must have it.It is such an obvious solution to a common homeowner headache that I should be able to walk right in and buy it.
They dont have it....niether do the other two big home centers...niether does the hardware??
As Im driving home I see dozens....hundreds of applications for this product...but its not there!
I get on line and look everywhere this product should be...and it isnt there.
Is it possible that I have stumbled upon a hugely saleable product that doesnt yet exist?? Probably not, but I cant stop thinking about it....its starin me in the face everywhere I go. Its not there and it should be.
So....what do I do now?
I went to the patent website and it is mind boggling.It looks as though a person will be drug through miles of documents and be charged a butt load of large fees just to apply for a patent.And the time frame could take years!
Another option is invention submission.Where you pay a company to do the footwork (patent and marketing).
This sounds good ,but apparently...most of these companies are scams...either stealing your money, your idea, or both.
So do any of you have any experience in handling a marketable product that you might share?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated....Joe

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Go to the patent website and do a patent search.
If it's still not there- go to the yellow pages under attorneys - patent and look for a patent agent.
They are a lot cheaper than a lawyer and will do a true search at a reasonable rate.
The big question is - Is there a market for it? If so, how big?
If you believe you have something and your agent agrees, have him do the legwork and expect to lay out about $3K for drawings, desciption and application.
My experience with patents and related litigation has taught me that it is wise to get a jump on the market and sell the heck out of it and not waste time & money on patents and lawsuits over copycats.
If the market is $10 mil a year, go for a patent.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the years I worked with a bunch of folks who thought they had a great idea.
I made plastic injection molds. A small part about the size of a cell phone cover could cost $30K for the mold.
Then production cost would be maybe 25 cents per unit.
Sell them at $5 ea and maybe you have a good one. If they sell.
Saw a few folks spend money on something I never saw selling but it was work for me.
One place I worked at the boss had an idea and we worked on that.
His investigation into patent told him "Patent Pending" were magic words. I don't know.
Do your market research and estimate sales.
Watch out for liability.
I once made a mold for a corn on the cob holder that had 2 long stainless steel spikes so you could hold it with 1 hand.
Just imagine the damage that could do ! Get legal advise on selling koolaid from your sidewalk.
Or farm it out to China. That's where all the jobs went.

Grey

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Been through this once, got friends going through it now, and I'll possibly be going through it again soon when I get a prototype built. Before going to a patent lawyer, try searching yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread