Experiminted a bit with the Explorer today...

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lately I haven't been able to find many old places to detect at (although I just did get permission to hunt a house built in 1833 (which I plan on doing later this week)). So I decided to try a little experiment at a local elem school. I was hunting the mulch area was having no luck, so I assumed someone else hunted it recently. So I went to the grassy area and hunted until I found a quarter with some good dirt on it and switched to the probe on the machine and then to the 'Learn' function on it and programmed the quarter into it so that it would only beep when it found a quarter. I did find a few dimes with this setting, but they ring up almost identical. I also dug a few sounds that I knew weren't quarters, but I just wanted to test them out because they were near the quarter range, but not quite there, and they were trash everytime. I ended up digging 23 quarters. 4 of those quarters went to 4 little kids who were following me around the whole time. I also dug a local bus token. I think whenever I don't have any new places to hunt I will just program a quarter in and go clean up the quarters out of every place. I would've stayed out longer tonight but more people kept on showing up so I decided I wasn't in the mood to talk to more people.

Haha, although there was a funny old mexican guy who kep saying money and throwing pennies on the ground for me, haha. I wasn't sure what I should be doing / saying to him at the time.

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Sounds interesting! Experiments are good
when you have time like you did today.
People are interested aren't they.
Now, I carry a 8" army bayonet, my digging tool,
and that scares some of them off...lol.
Good luck at the old house.

I just picked up an 1875 and 1910 map of my area today so I have some studying to do. (I just moved here a year ago)

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boobydoo said:
Sounds interesting! Experiments are good
when you have time like you did today.
People are interested aren't they.
Now, I carry a 8" army bayonet, my digging tool,
and that scares some of them off...lol.
Good luck at the old house.

I just picked up an 1875 and 1910 map of my area today so I have some studying to do. (I just moved here a year ago)

Smiles!
BDoo

My digging knife is about 10" long and that doesn't scare anyone away, haha. Maybe I should carry a longer one so people wouldn't bug me... or wear a shirt that says: "Don't talk to me unless you have an old house yard for me to hunt" ;)

Where in MI are you? I might be making a trip up there sometime this summer and could always use detecting buds.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same thing happened to me at the beach, a couple of teenagers were throwing their change in the sand
and watching me picking them up to get a good laugh. I finally went up to them and told them to either just hand me the change or cut the shit!! It got kinda annoying. They thought it was a funny game. Maybe the mexican guy though the same. Oh well. Congrats on your finds anyway..

Joe

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
kinda funny what type of people you encounter while out metal detecting isn't it -- a good 6 months ago a woman with a walkman on walked into the park singing She Shook Me All Night Long by AC / DC -- It was a small park and it was early and I was the only person there -- She starting shaking what she had near the swingset singing for all she was worth -- took all my control not to bust up laughing at her -- ;D

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gabbit said:
kinda funny what type of people you encounter while out metal detecting isn't it -- a good 6 months ago a woman with a walkman on walked into the park singing She Shook Me All Night Long by AC / DC -- It was a small park and it was early and I was the only person there -- She starting shaking what she had near the swingset singing for all she was worth -- took all my control not to bust up laughing at her -- ;D

haha, now that is some good stuff!

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe88 said:
The same thing happened to me at the beach, a couple of teenagers were throwing their change in the sand
and watching me picking them up to get a good laugh. I finally went up to them and told them to either just hand me the change or cut the #@!$%#@!!! It got kinda annoying. They thought it was a funny game. Maybe the mexican guy though the same. Oh well. Congrats on your finds anyway..

Joe

Haha, stupid stupid kids..... I would've gotten annoyed as well!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
bscofield6 said:
My digging knife is about 10" long and that doesn't scare anyone away, haha. Maybe I should carry a longer one so people wouldn't bug me... or wear a shirt that says: "Don't talk to me unless you have an old house yard for me to hunt" ;)

Where in MI are you? I might be making a trip up there sometime this summer and could always use detecting buds.

My profile here has the Pinpoint on the location within a mile or so, in Macomb County . I used to live in West Bloomfield in Oakland county my whole life until I got re-married last June and me and the kids moved out here with the new wife.

Take care Brian, PM me if you want.

Best of luck!

BDoo

P

PostFatal

ha ha, the "mr beach metal detector guy " commercial says it all. your are haveing fun and if you can introduce other people to the sport, all the better. If people want to throw coins at you then all is well. just put them in your pocket and carry on. reminds me of a Joke I once heard. this kid was offered his choice between a nickel and a dime. He took the nickel every time. supposedly because it was bigger. Someone pointed out to him that he was the fool because he chose the nickel and the dime was worth more. but he came back with " If I choose the dime they won't do it anymore"

S

shamhawks

Joe88 said:
and watching me picking them up to get a good laugh. I finally went up to them and told them to either just hand me the change or cut the #@!$%#@!!! It got kinda annoying. They thought it was a funny game. Maybe the mexican guy though the same. Oh well. Congrats on your finds anyway..

Joe

That's when you pick up one of the coins, take a long puzzling look at the coin, say thanks for giving me a rare coin worth about $xxx or $x,xxx put it in your pocket and casually walk off and do it all with a straight serious face ;D

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats neat that you are learning how to use your detector so well. You must have a lot of patience with all the kids around. I think kids are always intrigued when they see coins being found. It's cool you take time to talk to them. Tsgman

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way to learn the detector and congrats on all the quarters! HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread