EXPERT NEEDED FOR STRANGE FOSSILE

GENEYES

Apr 4, 2013
AUSTIN MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_0261.JPG This is my first post here so I hope everything is shown(pictures, short video).
I found this while fishing the Cedar River near Austin ,Minnesota.
At first I thought it was a turtle head up for air, then I realized its a strange looking fossil.
maybe its coral , but I haven't found anything exactly the same online yet.
its the size of my fist and weighs almost 2 lbs.
its very hard and I cant scratch it with a penny, or piece of glass, and vinegar has no fizzing effect.
note: It is made of several layers some thicker ones near the topside. The bottom is flat with hexagon- shapes all linked together and with each "hexagon" having a round dot inside.
any help/comments welcome,
thank you,
gene 100_0279.JPG 100_0275.JPG

OP
OP
G

GENEYES

Apr 4, 2013
AUSTIN MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry for the fuzzy picture,
I don't know how to preview my pictures before choosing the files to upload.....the video should be fairly good quality for id.
if more pictures are needed I can upload more 100_0260.JPG 100_0266.JPG 100_0267.JPG 100_0268.JPG View attachment 771580

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
sorry for the fuzzy picture,
I don't know how to preview my pictures before choosing the files to upload.....the video should be fairly good quality for id.
if more pictures are needed I can upload more View attachment 771593

This image shows coralites, so I am guessing this is a chunk of Devonian coral reef carried down from Canada by glaciers. Some reef corals build layer-upon-layer of new living chambers.

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the first picture, will be the one that can give you a definite answer, but it is going to have to be in focus. I agree with harry. even blurry, the hexagon cells with a circle in the middle, with radiating lines from the center is classic coral structure, that can be found in MN strata...We would need a clearer pic to tell you the species.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread