Explain discrimination to me

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Val,

I do not have your detector and I am a newbie also but I will give it a try. I assume you want to know what is meant by discrimination, not how do you do it on your detector.
Anyway, my definition is that you want to discriminate against certain types of metal registering. I have a bunch of old nails and bolts and junk by my house and they show up as iron. Now I will want to discriminate against iron objects so my detector will not buzz/beep at me when I am passing over an object made of iron. This way you can tell the detector to pass over these objects and just tell you when it has found something that you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Funkman

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Different metals react differently to the detector's electro-magnetic field. On one end of the metallic sprectrum you have magnetic ferrous (iron) items and on the other end you have conductive non-ferrous items. The general dicrimination designations are: iron, foil, nickels, pull-tabs, zinc pennies and screwcaps, pennies, dimes, quarters, half-dollars and dollars. Gold generally is found in the foil through pull-tab ranges. Silver is from pennies on up. I think most would agree that the best discrimination level is to only reject iron. If you are after coins only, however, then there is nothing wrong with rejecting everything but coins. By the same token, if you are after gold rings then you could reject everything but nickels and pull-tabs. It is said that the more you discriminate, the less depth you can achieve.

HH!
TBGO

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TBGO explained it well. Just think of it as turning the knob to not hear the sounds of things you don't want to dig. BUT, some things you do want like most gold rings will be discriminated against the same as pull tabs for example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread