Exploration Permit from US Navy - anyone?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Has anyone gone through the exploration permitting process for a US Naval warship in Florida waters? I've downloaded the form and information from the US Navy site. I certainly do not have the means, credentials, or experience to do any excavation of the wreck, I just want to have the official OK to perform specific electronic search and exploration of the wreck site - I'm told that I need this to cover my rear. My dive partner has spoken with Dr. Roger Smith on this vessel and they have no interest in performing an investigation on it - but of course they won't divulge the exact location either :-\ .

Any information or suggestions would be great.

Pcola

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to Rob Westrick, a.k.a. GalleonHunter

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
I didn't do in in FL waters, but I did get a permit to explore, document and conduct limited excavation on the USS Peterhoff, a Civil War shipwreck off the coast of NC. I needed a permit from the State of NC, since it was in NC waters, I needed a permit from the National Park Service, since it was part of their Historic Shipwreck District, and I needed a permit from the US Navy since they retain ownership of all their vessels. I had all three permits in hand in about 3-4 weeks.

It probably didn't hurt that I was doing it through a university as part of my Master's thesis, but still, the permits were in my name. That was in 1996, I am not sure how much harder it would be today.

We did find the remains of a WWII Grumman Avenger off Vero Beach a couple of years ago. Like their vessels the US Navy also retains ownership of all their aircraft. I contacted Wendy Cobles at the Naval Historical Center in Washington D.C., she was very helpful and actually encouraged us to return to the site, take pictures, look for parts that may contain serial numbers to identify the plane etc.

My recommendation would be to contact the Naval Historical Center.

Hope this helps, good luck,

Rob

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for the great information Rob. I did in fact contact the NHC last year and they were more than happy to provide me with the form. I had a back injury shortly after so the whole thing got put on the back burner - no pun intended.

The marine patrol has already harassed me when I was ground truthing a site that I found with my side scan unit but had no idea it was a historic site - of course how could I know since they don't bother publishing these locations. Therefore I thought I should probably have a permit just to limit the length of the harassment when it comes - and it most assuredly will.

Thanks again,

Pcola

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
You will probably get more flak from the State of Florida than you will the U.S. Navy. On the plus side however, it seems once one organization/agency signs off on something, the rest are more likely to follow. I would start with contacting the Naval Historical Center. Tell them what you want to do and why and the rest will probably fall into place.

One thing about the Avenger we found (actually refound, it was originally discovered in the 1970's) About six months later one of the prop blades was cut off...the last I heard it was mounted on someone's garage wall over looking their pool table. The kicker was it wasn't taken by someone who is a "treasure hunter" it was taken by a diver who works as a deputy at the county sheriff's office. Go figure!

Rob

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Man that is soooooo lame about the prop!

I only want to find this wreck because our illustrious state has expressed no interest in trying to explore or investigate it due to it's mostly covered by a very muddy bottom - no kidding that was the reason they gave. Of course they won't divulge the exact location unless I sign an affidavit saying that I won't use the information for the purpose of exploring the wreck.

This ship has some very significant history to go along with it...it just pisses me off that they can wave their majic wand and declare something archaeologically insignificant but at the same time prevent anyone else from exploring it. I only want to conclusively locate the site and rally some support to save this site from permanent destruction. The site is very close to a heavily dredged area and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before this one is allowed to be ripped up by the dredge and lost forever. I'll release more details on the ship if and when I can move further with it.

Thanks,

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread