Explored a new site - One keeper today

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been researching using two aerial maps of the area, one from 2002 and one from 1930. Amazing how much some areas have changed in 72 years but all to my benefit looking at these maps.

I saw near a late 1800's dambreast, two structures upstream on both sides of the dambreast. So I went to check the area out this morning.

No more than one minute after I turned my detector on I got the sweet sound of Silver and yes, it was a nice 1914 Barber Dime. Then after taking photos of the coin and site where found, I continued hunting and got another dime and then another, but sad to say they were clad dimes! They were only 3 feet away from where I found the Barber, so go figure. ???

I hunted in all metal mode and never found any indication of where the structure that shows on the map was. I am a bit perplexed over that, but will go there again when the underbrush dies off.

I drove across the dambreast and then began searching for the other structure that showed on the map, well, that side was severely overgrown and it was hard enough walking on the old dirt road, and only because a deer hunter opened it up a bit by driving his ATV back there to setup a bait pile for deer archery season.

I found no signs of anything on that side of the dambreast, but again will check in the late fall, early winter, once the woods open up some more.

I do not expect colonial, however, you never know, and I will take mid to late 1800 coins and relics anytime, and even the 1914 Barber dime brought a smile to my face.

I did find one old relic, a musketball, looks all chewed. LOL, but I am certain it is an old one and not from any modern musket rifle. That was found on the other side, so there is some hope of colonial artifacts, but slight.................

Enjoy the pics.

Don

Attachments

• Dimesitephoto.jpg
    Dimesitephoto.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 461
  • 1914dime.jpg
    1914dime.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 461
  • StructureSiteOne.jpg
    StructureSiteOne.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 458
  • Northsidedambreast.jpg
    Northsidedambreast.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 455
  • Baitpile.jpg
    Baitpile.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 457
  • Sep16FindsSite221.jpg
    Sep16FindsSite221.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 1914BarberDimeUNCLEANED.jpg
    1914BarberDimeUNCLEANED.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 439
Upvote 0

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
It looks like you got close to where the structures were. Now you can pinpoint where the Barber was found and take a fresh look with Google Earth and your maps.

In any case. Nice Barber!(and photos).

Congrats!

Ridley

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
B-arber coins are always a treat worth eating...actually, I would advise against eating a wilver Barber...but, if you are hungry, give it a shot...tell me how it tasted then.

Kirk

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!! I dont think I ever saw you post anything less than 150 years old before!!! Still a nice find and a great day to be outdoors!!

WTG!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Wow!!! I dont think I ever saw you post anything less than 150 years old before!!! Still a nice find and a great day to be outdoors!!

WTG!

In this case, I knew the sites I was looking for were from around 1900, so I would expect coins from that era, but always can hope the site was occupied much earlier for the same reasons, high ground overlooking water, so there are times you must check out an obvious newer site in hopes of an older one having been there before.

I found one of my best sites back in September 2003, thanks to investigating houses that showed on a 1948 Topo map! Little did I know that day I was going to stumble on one of the oldest and most profitable sites I ever found!

That site I found is posted here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,50212.0.html (Reply #7 has a list of the finds)

HH

Don

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
WTG on the Barber, photos and story too.

HH

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Man I love Barbers, but I think the only one I will ever get close to is the one that cuts my hair!!

That is one sweet coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread