Explorer 2, does it need repair?

jones6780

Sep 29, 2018
Middle Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am new to metal detecting and my brother gave me an explorer2 that he barely used. Charged the batteries and tried it out, seemed to work fine. Then started getting weird tones. Thought battery was low so charged up again. I got some fresh AA batteries and put in the other holder and tried again. About 20 minutes into a session I started getting odd tones, not repeating. I could set the unit down to dig a target and it would start giving tones and not the same tone. When switching to pinpoint, I could hold the coils 3 feet off the ground and still get tone, the indicator that shows pinpoint on/off was showing on but it would blink.

My next step is to remove all connections, battery, coil and see if they need cleaning.

Anybody else have similar problems?

Where to send for repairs? ???

Russell

OP
OP
J

jones6780

Sep 29, 2018
Middle Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I cleaned all the connections, one looked bad down in the handle. I guess the pinpoint indicator blinks all the time it is on, still gets tone when unit is held high.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably checked under the coil cover to make sure it was clean. It’s a great machine, does it do fine when you test it with coins on the ground?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you when you start hearing tones. What are your settings?

OP
OP
J

jones6780

Sep 29, 2018
Middle Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually about 15-20 minutes into a hunt, I am using quick start with factory settings. I can use the pinpoint and even holding the unit in the air still get tone. When placing on the ground to dig a target it will begin to give random tones. It may be working better after cleaning contacts. Haven't checked under coil cover. Works fine to begin with.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done a factory reset, do you noise cancel? Could be EMI, could be targets in ground detector is seeing, also are you using a hand held pin pointer, if so it most likely is cross talk. Try a different coil and see if it stops, could be coil issue as well.

OP
OP
J

jones6780

Sep 29, 2018
Middle Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did factory reset and noise cancel, cleaned under coil cover. I do have a hand held pinpointer. Will try without hand held and with different coil.

OP
OP
J

jones6780

Sep 29, 2018
Middle Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing, the exterior insulation/sheathing is coming off the wire near the coil connection. No bare wires just the exterior.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing, the exterior insulation/sheathing is coming off the wire near the coil connection. No bare wires just the exterior.

Hope haven't hunted in any water with it, it will allow water to get to the windings if there is a bare point that the resin missed when it was poured over top of the windings.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd make sure the damaged area was clean and dry and then reseal it. I've used some black 3M RTV with good success. It seals good and it stays flexible.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like what I call Aliens . or Morlocks.
(Electrical Interference, But not Stationary Electric)
Does it to me on Both my Explorer SE's
I can lay the detector down, Unplug the Headphone & Listen to it Chatter.

Sometimes if I turn it off & Back on it Stops.
sometimes I need to move to another area for awhile.
Noise Cancel works on Very rare Occasions.

As I said it's Not Stationary to any particular spot.
Like something Being turned on To jam it at times

I always Have My cell Phone on me Because of Health Issues.
Not sure If I can Blame that.

Spot it happens Most often is Next to a fire house.
Also not sure if I can blame their Radios.

Example. I park at 0 I'm fine.

I walk to 1 The Detector Goes Nutz

I Walk swinging towards 2 It clears up & is Fine,
if I turn around & try to go back to 1, It starts again,
Forcing me to turn again & walk to 2

Half hour Later if I walk to 1 I can usually Detect.

But once in awhile, The Electric Force is still hanging out at 1

& I need to Turn back around & Swing back towards 2 to get it to clear up.
there are no Underground or Overhead wires in the area, Unless Invisible Aliens hovering above, Or underground Morlocks making their slaves Run their Machinery.

Fire House is to the North So if their radios, I would think site 2 Would be worse then site 1 . If my Phone, I would think it would be all the places

000aaa.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jones6780

Sep 29, 2018
Middle Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will seal the wires. I guess I just have to play enough to recognize when it is acting up. Still learning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread