Explorer II question

Caleb in TN

Jan 3, 2008
Alexandria, TN
Hey guys new here.
I have been running an explorer 2 for a little while now, and have a few questions for some of you pros out there. Before, i used a whites pro XL and could walk and talk with it.
I have experimented with all kinds of set ups and differant settings even the factory presets.
My machine rarely keeps a threshold, lots of coin targets dissapear after i dig, and plus i rarely get anything more than a crazy mess when i pin point, like lots of beeps and nothing stable. Just about all my coin targets are really long like a wire, the only good true pin points i get are 2 to 3 inches deep.
next trouble is I am torn between conductive and ferrous. I need 101 on this machine, I've read the books but think i need an actual person to tell me good settings and how tos on this machine.
I really would appreciate any help. Thanks guys

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you keep changing you will never give yourself a chance to learn how the detector reacts. All the problems you have are consistent with a new user being at a trashy site and the only true fix will likely be many hours detecting.

My machine rarely keeps a threshold - Suppose to do that over disc'ed targets.

lots of coin targets dissapear after i dig, - Most likely from being fooled by junk, when you distub the soil the detector disc. completely blocks the target.

and plus i rarely get anything more than a crazy mess when i pin point, like lots of beeps and nothing stable - Probably junk, or has junk around. You have to make sure the coil is clear of the targets when pushing the pinpoint button.

next trouble is I am torn between conductive and ferrous - not as much difference as you might think. Just decide on one and stick with it. Help in person does usually make a difference to most new users.

Steve G.

Feb 4, 2007
Dallas Oregon
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3
Hi Caleb,
If your running with a coil cover, you might also check to make sure there is no dirt or sand in between the cover and the coil. You may want to try clearing the machine and going back to straight preset for a while. Don't turn your sensitivity up too high either. Just a couple of thoughts. Steve

OP
OP
Caleb in TN

Caleb in TN

Jan 3, 2008
Alexandria, TN
Thanks guys,
I had my machine wide open, so i turned it down a few notches.
I also put on my 8" coil and had a lot of luck.
I went to a place where i have pulled lots of old coins out and a few civil war things yesterday and found my first civil war button. Guess I just need practice.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Caleb in TN said:
Thanks guys,
I had my machine wide open, so i turned it down a few notches.
I also put on my 8" coil and had a lot of luck.
I went to a place where i have pulled lots of old coins out and a few civil war things yesterday and found my first civil war button. Guess I just need practice.
I definately stick to the advice already mentioned about the dirt/soil between coil and cover. I hear it can cause the detector to false. That aside, it's good to hear you are doing well. I'd say stick to conductive and mainly presets for a while until you feel confident. I normally run my XS with simple changes in settings such as Deep On and Gain increased to 7. I also like manual sens. Almost always hunt between 19 and 23 sens. I like the advise of stick to one thing for a while. It's my understanding which I like to visualize that the explorer shrinks the target as you move the coil back and forth when in PP mode. Also, as I recently responded in another post, it's been my experience that the Explorer can lose the signal after the target or dirt around it has been disturbed. This can happen in two ways, either the signal is completely gone or it will sound differently. Most of the time you can still hear it if you Pin Point. When this happens, I simply keep digging. My theshold is also all over the place with all the trash in the areas I hunt. I'll say that the Explorer XS I have is not a bad deal to pin-point with on targets up to 4 inches, but past that takes practice and even then you can end up all over the place. This is why I should listen to Joe G and get that Sunray Probe like tonight instead of lingering around Ebay looking for another Explorer XS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions