Explorer ordered to turn over location of 329 yr old shipwreck.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Here's the link:
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=9073175&ch=4226713&src=news

This guy has found what he believes is Le Griffon - a French ship from 1670-something that went down in Lake Michigan; the 1st "western" ship in the continent. It's value is historic, rather than gold or whatever; apparently it was loaded with furs when it sank.

The state claims it has rights to anything on the bottom of the lake, the guy says he's got salvage rights (so far, I trust the guy because he's protected this site for the last 6 years) and once he brought up a sliver of wood for dating - I'm not sure how this works, but I think that's when the feds got involved. And to top it off, if it is the Gryffin (griffin, griffon - whatever), then - according to the guy that found it - it would belong to France. What a mess.

Neat story, however it finally turns out. Worth checking out. Honest!

HH
Nan

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ship has been the Holy Grail of Great Lakes divers for decades, simply because of its age and the mystery of what happened to it.

Lost in 1679, it's location has been speculated anywhere from Rock Island, Wisconsin to the Straits of Mackinac, all bad water I have personally sailed.

It seems to me from the video that the location is north of Rock Island, and not too far from there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread