Explorer se vs etrac

carb897

May 2, 2012
woodward, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
excal 11 , explorer se, garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this has been asked before but for those that have had or have both machines what differences do you notice when you've been out detecting with both.
Is the depth equal with both when using the same size coil? Recovery speed? And anything else anyone would like to add.
I have an explorer se with an assortment of coils . I also have a deus I just got a month ago. I was just curious with an assortment of different coils if it was worth it to sell the explorer for an etrac? Or keep it since I also have a deus .

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carb, now this is my own personnel opinion, and you know how opinions go, so I hope I do not offend anyone.

I have used both the SE and now the SE pro, I do not like the etrac's, to me they are too busy (hope you can understand what I mean there) for the amount of power they put out. In "My humble opinion" they are just glorified se pro's with a lot more instructions in the coding/programming, which can slow down the processor, yes the etracs did come with a slightly faster processor then the se pro but to me a proper Se or Se pro with the different coils can hit as deep, ok in my opinion deeper than an etrac.

Again this is just my opinion, not meant to insult anyone.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's probably not enough of a difference where I'd sell one to buy the other. I have the older Explorer XS and an E-trac. I find the E-trac to be a bit more stable, it's goes slightly deeper with a better I.D. on deeper targets. I like the newer numbering system better too. Not having used the SE, but, having hunted with other who do, I'd say it's not worth paying extra for the upgrade unless those things I mentioned are very important to you.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having a similar conundrum.
I now swing a Mighty ETrac. Best machine I've used.
Each Spring I purchase a new detector. This years choices are a 3030 or Deus. As I'm not a brand specific purchaser, I'm leaning towards the Deus and its exceptional speed. I worry that the 3030 is a waterproof ETrac w extras? Although, waterproof is enticing.
I transitioned from an F70 to ETrac. The speed difference was overwhelming. The F70 is blazingly fast. Not so with ETracs. Yet, the ETrac provides sooo much info.
I look forward to further responses to this thread.
Peace ✌

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just purchased an Explorer XS. Got a great deal. Wanted an Etrac but was not in my budget. I got this at a great price so I can also keep my F5. I am hoping that I made a good choice. Looking forward to testing it when it gets here.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tend to purchase new (used) detectors when a good deal comes my way; love the technology. I have my eye on the E-trac and CTX-3030. I have an Explorer SE (pro coil) and like the tones, depth and overall performance, but the two big brothers intrigue me. Should they?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure this has been asked before but for those that have had or have both machines what differences do you notice when you've been out detecting with both.
Is the depth equal with both when using the same size coil? Recovery speed? And anything else anyone would like to add.
I have an explorer se with an assortment of coils . I also have a deus I just got a month ago. I was just curious with an assortment of different coils if it was worth it to sell the explorer for an etrac? Or keep it since I also have a deus .

The main difference is recovery speed for me. Also a different setup with auto sensitivity. The Minelab E-Trac is my silver sucker! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread