Explorer XS vs E-trac

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Its been about 10 months since i got my Etrac and retired my explorer XS. I was using the explore XS since its debut. About 7 outings ago I broke out the XS and really forgot what I had, probably the best minelab machine they made to date. The Etrac is , lighter well balanced and more ridged. I went to a few parks I havent been to in years and gave them both equal time in super trash about 5 hours each over the same approximate grid under large oaks. The etrac got me 5 wheats 1 religious medal (non silver) and the usual clad. I have found the Etrac is an Iron magnet in the high trash also. The XS netted me 9 indians 30+wheats and 2 silver dimes. I dont know if its just me but I feel the sounds on the XS are much smoother between targets allowing me to really id the keepers. I am sticking with the XS for now and buying an explorer 11 as a backup while there are still some very good used ones out there. My 2 freinds bought the Etrac the same time as I did. One with the bad shoulder and all who admits its a much easier machine to swing uses his XS. the other freind was not pleased from day one but gave the Etrac about 6 months,This after selling his Explorer 11 to get the Etrac sold it and bought a used explorer 11 and is so pleased.
Marty

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, thanks for the really useful insight on the XS vs E-Trac! I'm going to be purchasing an XS from a guy fairly soon, as soon as he gets it back from Minelab. Hopefully everything comes through clear with it and I'm able to purchase it, 'cause I've liked everything I've read about the machine. Thanks again for the info!

Bran <><

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
What can you say to that, I guess it must have been the setting's. Here in San Antonio three of us that have used the Explorer from the beginning in 2000, we have all switch over to the E-Trac and found silver at parks the Explorer was overwhelm with modern and iron trash. The E-Trac cuts through the mass and resets very quick, the Explorer seem to blend the tones together which makes you slow down to a ant walk. Well these parks just don't give much up anymore maybe it will freeze and it will push up some old coins to the detectable range.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
hello Marty.I suspect that you still do not know your Etrac.Learn-try and learn again.Its definitly some evoliution frome xs,bigest mistake what people do is static sensitivity,should be like car throttle,then road empty you push and excelerate,when traffic you braking and going slow.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had any intentions of buying a SE or E-trac because in my opinion any change would be a negative one, and looks like you agree with that. The main problem likely is Minelab wanting to speed up the processor because people want to hunt faster, but what it also does is make that deeper iron sound better like most (if not all) other detectors. The bottom line is it looks better on paper and is good for sales, so they do it. All that being said, it's freakin wonderful because used Explorers just get cheaper! I can buy 3 used units now for the same price I paid for my first new XS! :thumbsup:

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I have had the Etrac for nearly a year now and am going to put it in the cupboard, and am go back to using my Explorer 2. Like most people I was sucked in with all of the promotion and advertising hype. I detect some areas which are highly mineralised and the sensitivity must be turned down on the Explorer and it will will see the coin. No matter what you try in these conditions with the Etrac it wont see the target. seeya Neilo :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread