"Explosive" day at the 1904 schoolhouse today

W

whites6000inPa

"Explosive" day at the 1904 schoolhouse today

Had a pretty good day today. Got a new machine....so now my old one can go back. I invited a friend to do a little hunting at the old school I've been detecting, and we got to hunt together for awhile this morning. I ended up spending 6 hours at the schoolyard today. My feet said "go home....we hurt".....so I finally did.

I found some silver today....a 1944-P war nickel...2 silver rosies, a 54-D and a 60-D, a 1941-D mercury dime, and in about an hour after Greg left....I found 2 1942 quarters. One was right by the flagpole pad in front of the school, and the other was in the play lot behind the school.

I also found this really cool square, holed token that says "good for one exploder" on one side, and on the other side it says "Brown supply store No 2"....must have something to do with mining. Another token I found today was one of James Garfield. I found James Polk yesterday in the same area.

Made some modern coin finds.....3 clad quarters, 3 clad dimes, and 14 pennies. I think there are a couple wheats, but they're still dirty.

Wyatt

Attachments

• EXPLODER.JPG
    EXPLODER.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 534
  • 1105051.JPG
    1105051.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Explosive" day at the 1904 schoolhouse today

WOW, Awsome Day Wyatt.

I'm Wondering IF Blasting Caps were Called Exploders.

HH
jeff

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FROM THE MINING DICTIONARY :

Exploder or Battery or Blasting machine . See exploder, M.E. exploder. Beethoven exploder, Dynamo exploder, 'Little Demon' 1 6 21 23 100 cont

Little demon exploder

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

A pretty good day? I would say a very good day! :) What about your friend - did you skunk him or did he go home with some silver?

Bob

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I first thought the token said good for one "explorer"....and was hoping it said "minelab" on the other side.

FWIW, the new machine is a 6000 DI Pro SL....no learning necessary. It is much healthier than my "old" machine.

Wyatt

M

Mike(PA)

Nice finds, I like the Tokens! Love the silver! WTG keep it up! HH

Mike's Metal Detecting Forum:

http://www.voy.com/183702/

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Greg was there for a lot less time than me. He arrived later and left earlier. but he left with a handful of pennies, a 42 merc, and a way cool Junior policeman's badge.

Wyatt

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

Really nice finds. Six hours? Soak your feet, get some knee pads, and go back for seven more. That place seems like a great location.
keep swinging

grizzly bare

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I forgot the best part of the story.....the 64 rosie.....is the one I lost in front of the post office. The woman who does custodial work there walked down from her house and told me "I have something that belongs to you"....and handed me the dime. It's been run over a time or 2 since I lost it last week....but it's finally where it was destined to be...in my silver collection. Ivetta is on my Christmas Card list.

Wyatt

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a great day and a great site to MD. Go back there a couple more times, before the weather is killer.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

I'll be there in the morning as soon as the dew burns off....and it's supposed to rain in the afternoon. Funny, I thought that after 21 silver coins....the place had been pretty well cleaned out....then today I pull up 6.

The new machine is responsible in part. I found the war nickel before Greg got there, and at a depth of 6 inches. Once Greg arrived, I began using the newer 6000 which scored the rest.

Wyatt

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW!! You are really finding ALOT of silver as of late! Keep posting your great finds. You have a great site.Good luck with the rest.

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Thanks.......Some folks probably think...yeah, right...more humdrum, lackluster common silver coins, but this is the kind of stuff that's apt to turn up here...baby boomer silver. In the early years of this school, miner's worked for "scrip" and kids carried their lunches. This school ceased to be a school in 1964. The stuff I'm finding was lost in the 50's and 60's...by "my generation"

It's good enough for me...for now. There is older silver here....but likely not in this schoolyard.

Wyatt

OP
OP
W

whites6000inPa

Hi Spotz.........The way I hunt is subject to some debate as to whether it's "right" or not. I follow my instincts, move from spot to spot at will and on a whim....and sweep quicker than most anybody I know.

It is, however "right" for me.

Wyatt

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX

I Like it!!

Great stuff there my friend.

Keep going Winter is coming

JT