gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is not easy. Find a lathe and a milling machine and some thick wall aluminum tube or solid alum bar. Turn O.D. to about 0.800 for 4" and step down to about 0.680 for about three inches, to engage I.D. of the factory tubing. Holes for armrest are 0.406 dia, spaced about 3/4" apart. A pop rivet and now it's perfect. I have added about 2.5, 3.25 and 4.0 inches range of extension. I like midpoint at the 3.25. This can be done with other materials and a bit of ingenuity, but the 0.406 dia holes and the 0.800 O.D. and 0.680 dia step are a must for the best fits. Also, the farthest extension for the coil is too long except for the really tall guys. I put my coil extension at the fifth hole, and its just right. The balance is much better and it feels like the weight has been cut in half. Garrett, please consider an extension kit.

Attachments

• DSC06369.JPG
    DSC06369.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC06373.JPG
    DSC06373.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC06383.JPG
    DSC06383.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC06384.JPG
    DSC06384.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 432

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Great job on the modification. There sure is a lot of talent here. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks John, I appreciate your comment. I did not do the machine work, but I did the design and had it made. I think most people can rig up something similar with a bit of scrounging around. This could readily be fashioned from a strong wooden dowel with a drill and some whittling and sanding.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:sign13: Best modification to fix the problem I've seen so far ,I like It.

But

I don't know why Garrett Just don't make the shaft longer in the first place. :dontknow:
How much more could the tubing possable cost them ???

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
I see these on ebay occasionally.

The seller calls them a "Garrett Gizmo", and sells them for about $35 each.

You should build some and sell them.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I just googled the gizmo, this looks very similar to mine. I would prefer a pop rivet over that big nut and bolt. I say the price is a bit too much, but well worth it. This needs to be tooled up as a fiberglass filled plastic injection molding, and offered by Garrett. I cannot image for the life of me why Garrett makes the shaft too short on the arm end. It is my opinion that the coil end of the shaft is much too long. ???

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Here's mine made out of a $2.50 wood dowel with the end sanded down.
It moved the center of the arm cup back about 3" inches and really helped to balance out my 250 w/the 10X14 DD on it.

009.jpg

008-1.jpg

~~Happy Hunting~~

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I make the Gizmo's. They are made from solid 6061 hardened aluminum for a reason. The machines need some extra weight for better balance. Also my first prototypes were tubing and they were not strong enough to take the extra torque and soon wobbled. I commend anyone who makes their own accessories. I actually have been making them for 2 years now once I perfected them through several field testers including myself. As far as the cost goes. Making 30 at a time all exactly the same in a timely manner take some doing. It was easy to make one in an afternoon and who cares what it looks like if it's for yourself. Heck if it works it's all good. But try selling one that's not exactly perfect. That's where a lot of the cost comes into play. Material cost, machining, packaging, handling and shipping adds more than a person thinks. I have taken the Gizmo to other shops for quotes on duplicating. That cost is around $50. So at $34.99 shipped is reasonable. Also selling to Garrett doesn't make sense. They have the equipment to extend the rod for pennies so they won't buy them. I still think there are way more users that are fine with the length than not. It's just the ones that want it longer are saying so. If you can make your own or get someone else to make one for free or cheap that is the best way to get one. But if you don't have access to a metal lathe, milling machine and measuring tools then the Gizmo fills that niche. I think the metal detecting community is the most inventive folks around. Good hunting to all!

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
khouse said:
I make the Gizmo's. They are made from solid 6061 hardened aluminum for a reason. The machines need some extra weight for better balance. Also my first prototypes were tubing and they were not strong enough to take the extra torque and soon wobbled. I commend anyone who makes their own accessories. I actually have been making them for 2 years now once I perfected them through several field testers including myself. As far as the cost goes. Making 30 at a time all exactly the same in a timely manner take some doing. It was easy to make one in an afternoon and who cares what it looks like if it's for yourself. Heck if it works it's all good. But try selling one that's not exactly perfect. That's where a lot of the cost comes into play. Material cost, machining, packaging, handling and shipping adds more than a person thinks. I have taken the Gizmo to other shops for quotes on duplicating. That cost is around $50. So at $34.99 shipped is reasonable. Also selling to Garrett doesn't make sense. They have the equipment to extend the rod for pennies so they won't buy them. I still think there are way more users that are fine with the length than not. It's just the ones that want it longer are saying so. If you can make your own or get someone else to make one for free or cheap that is the best way to get one. But if you don't have access to a metal lathe, milling machine and measuring tools then the Gizmo fills that niche. I think the metal detecting community is the most inventive folks around. Good hunting to all!

khouse, I must correct myself, mine looks very similar to yours. I never saw yours until this post. Form certainly follows function. If I knew about yours, I would have bought one from you. Getting mine fabbed up was a royal pain in the arse, I was lucky and had the work done by two machinist friends at no charge. I can say that 35 beans is a good deal, the pain in the wallet will soon vanish after the Gizmo works it's magic.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Gleaner1, Don't get me wrong. Yours looks fine. I know it works great too. I have seen plastic and wood ones too. It's fun to make your own stuff. I try to keep the costs down on the Gizmo. I wish I was getting rich but I'm not. Not much profit in these gadgets. Anyway you all keep making accessories. Maybe the next million dollar idea will come from the fine family of metal detecting? Let's hope...

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
khouse said:
Gleaner1, Don't get me wrong. Yours looks fine. I know it works great too. I have seen plastic and wood ones too. It's fun to make your own stuff. I try to keep the costs down on the Gizmo. I wish I was getting rich but I'm not. Not much profit in these gadgets. Anyway you all keep making accessories. Maybe the next million dollar idea will come from the fine family of metal detecting? Let's hope...

khouse I feel a bit awkward about posting my cool little retrofit, then finding out that you had already produced and marketed it. I am embarrassed. It's strange how this stuff happens. Anyway, good luck and I hope you sell tons of them. I wish I was a wealthy man, I would offer to tool up the Gizmo in plastic and go into business with you, 70/30 in your favor.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Don't feel that way Gleaner. Heck, I see cool things then make my own. If you have the means then go for it. I have several cool detecting accessories on paper that I would like to make. But it takes a lot of cash to make them come to life. Right now I'm tweaking my aluminum stand for the Ace's and ATpro. Even simple things take a lot of time. I thought I was satisfied but just came up with a better design. FYI - some of the better plastics out there are more costly than aluminum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread