Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first pic is typical of what we find in SW OK. (Well one is not typical at all, the one at 11 o'clock) The side notch they call Washita and I guess they call the ones with the basal notches Harrell points. The second pic shows a couple with extra side notches. Generally the extra notch will be parallel to another, but sometimes not. One reference wouldn't classify these as Washita or Harrell due to the extra notches, but they are all found on the same sites, and appear to be from the same time frame.

Attachments

• 6-5b.jpg
    6-5b.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 6-5a.jpg
    6-5a.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RGINN!! Really Nice Points!! Oh, buy the way, I didn't know they had water in OK!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

exahab

Jun 10, 2013
Luldow, MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro Dp
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KILLER POINTS

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple examples of extra notch Points. These are Charcos Points from Texas.

Attachments

• DSC_0730.jpg
    DSC_0730.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0732.jpg
    DSC_0732.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 75

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINn
Nice to see you sharing your treasures from your area. An e notch type would be on my bucket list for here.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice points.

I had this theory (I came up with by trying to make points) that the side notches were a way to get in and thin out the material.
After looking at your pics and grims, my theory is crap. Interesting pieces for sure.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, those Charcos points are wicked! Those are just gonna hurt. It would be interesting to see how they were mounted on the arrow shaft. I saw some examples of extra side notches from the Harrell site in Texas that were similar to what we would find. I was very lucky growing up to have permission to check out some primo sites in SW OK. I still have that permission, but these days when I'm down there I just mainly go by and check on a certain few important ones, make sure they're still intact. There's quite a few burials on some of these sites, and never much in the way of grave goods in them, but I don't want to see them disturbed by pothunters thinking they're going to get rich.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it typical for arrows to only be 10" long? Or maybe that ones broken....

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a point that qualifies as having an extra side notch, but in a different way altogether. It's a rhyolite Susquehanna Broad point. These points are defined by having very broad side notching. But, in this instance, for whatever reason, on one side only, the maker placed a smaller side notch inside of the larger side notch. Tempted to think a later native found it and added the smaller side notch, but the patina is uniform, and the tiny side notch is only on one side.

IMG_8016.JPG IMG_8014.JPG

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN, this isn't a great picture, but this is a hafted Charcos from a dry cave site in Northern Mexico. Tar/Pitch over cordage covering the base, but not the extra notch.

View attachment 1460092

Man that would be those most mind blowing find....my brain would literally blow my eyes out of their sockets!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread