(Extream Detecting Spot) Not one word said about Detecting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pr_republican_20080614_a_pg1_pr14therock_s1_1740711_top2.jpg

River spot a no-swim zone

HAMBURG — To Michael Butynski, the “Rock” is a sacred spot, a rite of passage.

The 25-year-old Allentown man said he often visits the popular swimming spot along the Schuylkill River near Port Clinton.

“It’s a beautiful place,” said Butynski, one of the many visitors who’s also been inspired to jump off the rocky cliff that juts out 30 to 40 feet above the water.

To many, the Rock is a local treasure, but for officials like Cpl. Fred Krute of the Pennsylvania State Police at Schuylkill Haven, it’s a nuisance and a source of concern that escalates every summer, especially during heat waves.

“When we went down there this past weekend, there must have been about 400 people there on the beach,” Krute said, referring to the parcel of flat, muddy land located directly across from the Rock.

http://www.republicanherald.com/art...0080614.a.pg1.pr14therock_s1.1740711_top2.txt

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I have detected the beach and the area around the rock. I did find a nice amount of clad and a few pieces of token jewelery. But often wondered what must be in the water under the rock. I have no idea how deep the water is in that spot and truthfully I myself do not intend to find out.
Every summer the hamburg fire company is out there at least 3-4 times due to people drinking and getting hurt if not loosing their lives.
There are some nice areas along the trail for a picnic and some fishing. In fact there are restrooms (outhouses) along the trail to the rock. The DEP and Police do not stop the people from enjoying the site, but come-on use some judgement. It is a well know fact and everyone there knows about all the deaths and accidents that have happened here. But yet they just keep doing the same.

Joe

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that has been swum in
for over 200 years

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe longer. Look at the Indian God Rock and how long it's been around. I remember the graffiti carved in it from the early 1800's. That water isn't very deep there...just very swift.

Personally, my mind spins when i get an idea for a place that's like that. A couple hundred years worth of people swimming, partying, and who knows what else....

I'd be wondering how deep it is too....gold is heavy, settles quick...into those nice deep pockets.....being dropped for 200 years....hmmmmm.
Al

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there an island in thr river somewhere right around there? We used to four wheel to an island and camp years ago. I know it was right around Port Clinton.

B

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
we have a place similar to that back in MN. the "cliff" is about 60 ft off the water, we used to jump off and you could tell the water was deep because when you hit the water as you went down it would get real cold the deeper you went down. I heard of a guy tying a brick to a hundred ft of rope and did not touch bottom. that's just rumour though, don't know if it's true.
to keep control of it, the county turned it into a park and put gates up and the DNR patrols it

Sniffer

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA
I would be willing to lend my BHID and scoop to anyone with the equipment to dive down. My detector is rated for a depth of 25ft, so an accurate and exact depth measurement is important. If it's too deep, I don't want to risk damaging my detector. There is a very good chance that the bottom has never been swept.

-Hoof-
out!

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
They have been trying to seal off the area on the other side from the rock where people parked along the road in the past to reach the beach area. Huge boulders in place now. And for sure this has been a swimming hole for a very long time. And yes there have been fatalities in the past although not as many as some would have you believe.
If you look at the picture you can note on the beach area they are planting some kind of trees or brush in the white plastic tubes.
BJW

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess sometimes we just need to read the article. I finally did that.

The depth can be as much as 15'. So...i guess they're saying that's an upper depth limit. It doesn't say what the average summer depth is or what it's like when there isn't any rain. (No rain in Pa.?)
I'd have to guess probably around 10 or 12 feet...but I've never been there. Thats well within holding your breath, (nonsmokers anyhow) and touching bottom.

Those trees they planted are locust trees in an attempt to fill in the area to keep people out.

And it sure seems from the article that generations have led the next generation to the rock. Bring the whole family, they grow up, bring their whole family.....and the beat goes on.

Check the pic...cut-offs with pockets for those jumping in the water. How many times have you jumped off rocks and come up with your pockets inside-out?

So...technically speaking, if you went snorkling or diving under the rock...you wouldn't really be swimming, which is off limits....you'd be metal detecting!

Al

Old Rerntern

May 19, 2008
Hegins, PA
There was just a front page article about this spot in the Pottsville paper last week. I got the impression that DEP and the State Police don't want any visitors here, on either side of the river. They even suggested blowing up the ROCK to detur people from going there.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Rerntern said:
There was just a front page article about this spot in the Pottsville paper last week. I got the impression that DEP and the State Police don't want any visitors here, on either side of the river. They even suggested blowing up the ROCK to detur people from going there.

Pulled that Article from Their web site.

You Got mail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread