EXTREME DETECTING YIELDS SILVER

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
What a day--have to tell you the whole story, but it all leads to a great ending. I was determined to detect here in NY because only so long until the ground is frozen. I had learned about this old professional ski jumping hill and had seen photos from the 30s/40s with tons of people in the photos on these big grandstands. I had been there detecting with no luck but was going to give it one more try. I am on this hill by the ruins of the grandstands it's raining and it's so steep I keep slipping and falling, and I'm not finding anything, so I decide to leave and slip get up, slip get up all the way down the slope until I slip and the loop on my detector snaps off (just a radio shack). I still have two hours of light left so I find a skateboard and hockey equipment store and buy some heavy tape and tape it all up, except I didn't pay attention and I taped it at an angle so I have to hold it weird. I decide to go to the old swimming hole that has brought in lots of silver, but I am always saying True Metal and I have detected it out to empty by now, but I go anyway. Not much luck and it's starting to get dark and I have a bag over the top of the detector to protect it from the rain. I find a 1960 NY license plate, then I go a little further and get a really good signal, but seems maybe too big for a coin. I start digging and find a wheatie, I check the hole again and still a signal and another wheatie pops up. I check AGAIN and still a signal and dig and a 1917 Merc. dime comes up. Yet another signal and a third wheatie. I check and STILL! a signal and dig and a 1926 Mercury dime comes out. I check and STILLLLLLLL a signal and a nice one. I am going under some roots and I'm thinking, could it be fate that the best find of the hole is the last one. I pop some dirt sideways under the big root and BANG!! there she is, an 1899 Barber half dollar. My first ever 1800s coins (I have one 1700s from same site). Six old coins in one hole. Great finish to the day and maybe my last day detecting for the winter (but I will keep trying if possible). Photo here kind of lousy...

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, Bergie!!8) Dude, thats some story! You deserve a great ending to a day like that. Too bad about the detector, it more than paid for itself. Excellent hunting! 8)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE FINDS FOR "Just a Radio Shack"? ;) Congrats

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Jeff--I thought since my detector snapped I had a perfect excuse to upgrade, but now that I heard on the other string under the whole digging up church thing that Radio Shack has a sale for $89 (it's probably my same detector). I might just go ahead and buy another. Too bad it's not like fishing where you can have two poles in the water at once. Can't swing two at a time, I don't think anyway.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd be better balanced ;D

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
It was about even with the other ones at about 3 inches or so. This one was on one side of the hole vs. at the bottom of the hole. Seemed caught up in roots.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great story Bergie,,, and a great way to end the season...
Congrats on your first 1800, I've got a few 1800 IH's, but no silver
Can't knock those Radio Shack units,, thats what I started with, & found quite a few goodies with it..
I think, I've ended my season like Charlie Brown, " All I got was a rock ", ( Pull-tab )... " ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bergie said:
Jeff--I thought since my detector snapped I had a perfect excuse to upgrade, but now that I heard on the other string under the whole digging up church thing that Radio Shack has a sale for $89 (it's probably my same detector). I might just go ahead and buy another. Too bad it's not like fishing where you can have two poles in the water at once. Can't swing two at a time, I don't think anyway.
Nice finds bergie!BTW-Radio Shack had a detector listed for 49.99 last week in the paper,went to get one for my nephew but they were sold out!H.H. AND H.H.(happy holidays)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread