Extreme Newbie Question - Ground Balancing

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire
I apologize in advance if this is something that has been covered a thousand times.

I am new to metal detecting, and the only thing I'm confused about is ground balancing. Can any metal detector be ground balanced, or is it just the higher end models. I just purchased my first, a White's Prism V, and can't find any useful information on the topic of ground balancing.

Any help (or a quick primer) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S.- I had my first outing with the detector today, and I found a penny! Ya-hoo!

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at the Prizm series manual and ground balance is not mentioned even once, so I assume that the balance is set at the factory and can't be changed. Ground balancing allows the detector to cancel out the signal generated by the ground...this signal is towards the magnetic ferrous end of the scale (in Whites terminology, -65 to -90). You will probably be fine unless you get into some extreme ground, or wet sand (salt).

There are generally three type of machines...factory set ground balance, manual ground balance, and manual ground balance with automatic balancing (occurs while using the detector with no input/action from the user...usually called "auto-tune" or "auto-balance").

HH!
TBGO

OP
OP
secondcup

secondcup

May 11, 2006
Seacoast, New Hampshire
Thanks Beep...good information.

I just read something on a forum about cancelling out any noise from the ground by using the discrimination feature. I guess this is sort of a poor man's ground balancing?

Willy

The Prizm V, as far as I can tell, has a fixed preset GB. It might be adjustable by opening up the detector.. or it could be set in software. One thing to be wary of is the moniker "automatic ground balancing". This generally indicates a preset, fixed GB detector. Auto-tune refers to the self adjusting threshold and does not change the GB. There are generally 4 types of detectors available: fixed (preset) GB, manual GB, on demand temporary tracking GB, and full time ground tracking GB. Some ground tracking detectors allow for manual GB and/or the ability to turn off the tracking. There are also a few detectors with ostensibly "fixed" GB that allow for adjustment via holes in the case. Generally, a preset detector can do a decent job.. except in extreme situations where they might be well nigh unuseable. This is the case in many of the places I hunt, due to all the magnetite and other forms of mineralisation. ...Willy.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy hit the nail on the head. There are four types of GB and worst is the manufacture that lets you believe it's automatic when it is factory preset. Ground Balance that is preset is generally ok so long as ground conditions don't change much. Now, some parts of the country you are handicapped and that is why most like the manual GB.

B

beachgirl

thanks for the information, i learned alot and i didnt even ask the question, now i know what to look for in my next model :)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, thats what I meant, "auto-trac", thanks for the clarification!

HH!
TBGO

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess everyone in the posts above answered your question.

But since I feel like writing about ground balancing this evening, here's a little something extra.

There's really not a "super" depth advantage by using a manually balanced detector. The main advantage in having a manual ground balance machine is when hunting in a highly mineralized area, you would cut out much of the falsing, and thus allow yourself to maybe get a slight increase in depth.

Falsing is really irritating and it can be very difficult to separate the false signals from real targets. There is a difference but it takes practice to get unto it.

I am now a believer in manual ground balance. This is new because just a year ago I really doubted its value.I will use an adjustable if my preset doesn't run smoothly.

The preset ground balance machines tend to chatter and false like crazy in different areas, no matter what you do with the sensitivity. See, falsing is really the big issue here...not depth.

Some areas have a lot of hot rocks and general high mineralization. For that reason, a manual GB on a detector is a very good thing.

So once again, manual ground balancing isn't as much about depth as it is falsing.

If you have mild soil where you are able to run your preset detector at nearly full sensitivity, having a manual ground balance on that same machine would make little difference in depth.

However, if you find an area where your machine goes nuts and hits signals all over and is crazy acting, you need adjustable GB. Also, if you find that you have to turn your sensitivity down low in order to stop chattering, you need an adjustable ground balance machine.

It's really about the type of soil you have at your hunting sites.

Oh, and one more thing. Sometimes adjustable ground balance machines can be a royal pain to balance properly. The reason being too much trash in the ground. Sometimes you can spend a lot of time finding a trash-free spot to balance your machine.

I stay with the presets if the areas allow. There are reasons for this but my time is up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions