May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't get much rarer than this one!

Henry I
Circa 1119

Only 4 coins recorded at this mint. This is the ONLY 1 of this type at this mint.

This period was full of plated fakes, so they often turn up bent to test them or cut. Due to the broken coins & the fact some where rejected a decree was made that all coins were 'snicked' with a cut before they left the mint. Mine has this tiny snick.

What is amazing about this coin, other than the condition (its better in the hand) is the extra large flan which at a time of silver shortage would have made it very over-weight. See the picture of it next to the ones in the book & notice the size difference :o Anyone could have easily cut this one down to proper size & lived for 1 week of the cutting! So how this ended up lost in such amazing condition, I'll never know!

For those interested in value, I could pretty much name my price (not that I ever will), but about $1000.

I have said a few times this year that I wanted a good shortcross but this is a find of a lifetime!

UPDATED:
The mint was very thoroughly studied in an article published in 1999, where there were recorded four types for this moneyer in the reign of Henry I. No other types had been recorded since 1999, but this is now another type to add to the list.

Above is part of an email I just recieved, so as I thought, its pretty damn rare. WHOOHOOO.......

SCANNED IMAGES ADDED

Attachments

• coin.JPG
    coin.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 4,425
  • coin1.JPG
    coin1.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 4,293
  • coin2.JPG
    coin2.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 4,207
  • Henry I Scan1.jpg
    Henry I Scan1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3,239
  • Henry I Scan.jpg
    Henry I Scan.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 3,249
Upvote 6

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Mainedigger said:
CRUSADER said:
Steve_UK said:
Stunning find... Big Congrats to you mate! :thumbsup:

Cheers, I blame it on my obsession. Permission + Time Spent = Reward

Now get out there & get yours :wink: :)

Crusader..you are right on about needing to spend the time out hunting...however you seem to be rewarded for that time somewhat better than the rest of us!!! :thumbsup: Which is the result of one thing you left out...location, location, location!!! :wink:

Your right, I live in an historic area. Far from the best in the UK, but just above average. However, this field has been one of our lowest priorities & we would never be bothered by competition on this difficult area. So, we are not picky about hitting any land we have permission for, many UKers would leave well alone.

Well if they leave fields like that alone, it's their loss and your gain!! :thumbsup: Just goes to show, you never know what you may find and where, which is what makes this hobby so thrilling and enjoyable as well as totally addictive... :thumbsup:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: EXTREMELY RARE - HENRY I - NORMAN PENNY!

CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
CRUSADER said:
It doesn't get much rarer than this one!

Henry I
Circa 1119

Only 4 coins recorded at this mint. This is the ONLY 1 of this type at this mint.

This period was full of plated fakes, so they often turn up bent to test them or cut. Due to the broken coins & the fact some where rejected a decree was made that all coins were 'snicked' with a cut before they left the mint. Mine has this tiny snick.

What is amazing about this coin, other than the condition (its better in the hand) is the extra large flan which at a time of silver shortage would have made it very over-weight. See the picture of it next to the ones in the book & notice the size difference :o Anyone could have easily cut this one down to proper size & lived for 1 week of the cutting! So how this ended up lost in such amazing condition, I'll never know!

For those interested in value, I could pretty much name my price (not that I ever will), but about $1000.

I have said a few times this year that I wanted a good shortcross but this is a find of a lifetime!
Nice one crusader Spink 1273. very good find think at least £700. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, I couldn't believe my luck. This area had been covered just before the rape went in, so no change of conditions (ie ploughing). I was only expecting the odd roman coin which I missed with the Cortes, but to get it sitting on the top, just makes me wonder how badly we did it last time.
There is always the possibility that you did search it correctly, but someone dropped the coin after you searched... ::)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin Cru, and in great condition, although I cannot see the snick. The flange is huge, that is for sure.
Since the flange is huge, and it's not been clipped, I would imagine the coin was lost pretty soon after
minting, so the condition has more to do with the minting than wear I would image. Nice that you made
the banner again!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainedigger said:
CRUSADER said:
Mainedigger said:
CRUSADER said:
Steve_UK said:
Stunning find... Big Congrats to you mate! :thumbsup:

Cheers, I blame it on my obsession. Permission + Time Spent = Reward

Now get out there & get yours :wink: :)

Crusader..you are right on about needing to spend the time out hunting...however you seem to be rewarded for that time somewhat better than the rest of us!!! :thumbsup: Which is the result of one thing you left out...location, location, location!!! :wink:

Your right, I live in an historic area. Far from the best in the UK, but just above average. However, this field has been one of our lowest priorities & we would never be bothered by competition on this difficult area. So, we are not picky about hitting any land we have permission for, many UKers would leave well alone.

Well if they leave fields like that alone, it's their loss and your gain!! :thumbsup: Just goes to show, you never know what you may find and where, which is what makes this hobby so thrilling and enjoyable as well as totally addictive... :thumbsup:

That is it in a nut shell & is the reason I spur Dad on to stick at hard areas :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
Great coin Cru, and in great condition, although I cannot see the snick. The flange is huge, that is for sure.
Since the flange is huge, and it's not been clipped, I would imagine the coin was lost pretty soon after
minting, so the condition has more to do with the minting than wear I would image. Nice that you made
the banner again!

(snick) - It is very small, but if you look at the scanned image, its at 7'oclock. Yes it was a period of weak strikes, although from time to time a nice strong centred example was struck (at different mints). I would never grumble about condition of any coin this rare. This has not only made my year, its made it in the record books (so to speak), so no-one can take that away from me :thumbsup:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Congratulations on helping write history Crusader! It doesn't get much better that that!!!! What a find.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
the banner again!
(snick) - It is very small, but if you look at the scanned image, its at 7'oclock. Yes it was a period of weak strikes, although from time to time a nice strong centred example was struck (at different mints). I would never grumble about condition of any coin this rare. This has not only made my year, its made it in the record books (so to speak), so no-one can take that away from me :thumbsup:
Thanks, I just didn't look carefully enough, now I see it for sure. I have never found a silver coin with a snick (I think, have to look...)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
CRUSADER said:
WOODY50 said:
the banner again!
Thanks, I just didn't look carefully enough, now I see it for sure. I have never found a silver coin with a snick (I think, have to look...)

As far as I'm aware it was a short lived practice in the rein of Henry I only (due to poor quality minting & fakes). So unless you have been very lucky in the past, all your hammered coins would not have any.

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
much congratulations to you, Crusader!! i know you work hard on research and are diligent in your hunting, so i am very happy for you on your AMAZING find!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Congratulations on bringing this rara avis into the light!!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In which field did you find this? Sure a good field, thats for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread