Eye Candy - Civil War Reproduction 3 inch Ordinance Rifle and Carriage

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey TNET Folk and especially the Civil War Buffs,

My friend and former co-worker, Shawn and his wife, Dee gave me their' old and well used but great running 1996 VW Golf GTI today for free today as they needed to downsize the herd of vehicles they have. Although I tried to give them something for it, they would not take anything. While visiting them, Shawn said let's go see Ben their neighbor who builds Civil War Cannon Carriages, Limbers and Wagons built to order on original specs. Ben and his wife even mount firing or non-firing Cannon barrels on the Carriages depending upon what the customer orders. The Cannon barrels are pre-ordered by the customer from one of several different Makers, shipped to the Miller Wagon & Cannon Co., then Ben and his wife mount the Cannons on the finished Carriages before they are delivered to or picked up by the customer. It was a privilege to meet Ben, a true Master at Civil War Cannon Carriage and Wagon building today and to get to see the Reproduction Civil War 3 inch (non-firing) Ordinance Rifle they built and assembled and had loaded on their' special trailer for delivery. The Cannon, Cannon Carriage, Limber and Accoutrements were built and assembled, I guess for the State of Florida as they are delivering it to Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West within the next few days. When he told me that they were delivering it to Fort Zachary Taylor, I wondered why with all of the Cannons and Howitzers that were dug up from the Fort and put on display. I guess it is to be placed outside the entrance to garner attention. I asked Ben if it was okay to take pics and he wholeheartedly said yes. I have included the pics below, so happy viewing but you may want to get a towel ready to keep the drool off your' Computer's keyboard, or off your' Tablet or Smartphone.:laughing9:

Frank

Civil War 3 inch Repro Cannon 1.jpg Civil War 3 inch Repro Cannon 2.jpg Civil War 3 inch Repro Cannon 4.jpg Civil War 3 inch Repro Cannon 5.jpg Civil War 3 inch Repro Cannon 6.jpg Civil War 3 inch Repro Cannon 7.jpg Civil War 3 inch Repro Cannon 3.jpg

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I'd twist my neck clean off my shoulders if I saw that wagon going down the road the other direction. Wonderful craftsmanship on some cool artillery pieces. Thanks for sharing.:headbang:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful! I always wanted one of those but could never afford one. Thanks for the share!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Takes your breath away.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I'd twist my neck clean off my shoulders if I saw that wagon going down the road the other direction. Wonderful craftsmanship on some cool artillery pieces. Thanks for sharing.:headbang:

Having lived in Key West, I know it would take Ben and his' wife two good days to get there but I told him, good luck with that. I said that you will have folks pulling along side you on the interstate to gawk and take pictures, then when you stop for gas, food or bathroom breaks, you will be swarmed with folks asking questions, wanting info and the price of one and taking pictures. That kind of happened to me when I drove a sleek Black 2017 Ford Raptor to Alice, Texas to deliver it to the customer. Every place I stopped, folks (mostly men) would come up and ask me about the truck and the price for one and take pics. I would imagine that it will take Ben and his' wife three days to get to Fort Zachary Taylor unless Ben cuts the questions and pics short.

Frank

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I want one.

Maybe two.

How much dough, ballpark, for the firing model?

Ben said $22,000 but I am not sure that includes the actual Cannon barrel (non-firing or firing) or not. You can check their website and/or call Ben and inquire about the price. However, I would imagine you will have to order the Cannon barrel for one of the Makers they have links to on their website and have it shipped to the Miller Wagon & Cannon Company in Parrottsville, Tennessee. I have included the link to their website below and hope it is not against the rules. I just met them yesterday, do not work for them or have a financial connection to them but sure wish that I had known about their company sooner. If you purchase one or two, please make sure you post pics here on Treasure Net, so that we can see what you ordered and drool some more.:laughing7:

Miller Wagon & Cannon Company

Frank

Edited: I checked some prices on their website and based on everything else, that may include the price of a non-firing Cannon barrel. Also, check out this beauty http://millercannons.net/page_holder_09.php?locate=update&current_page=update&name=Update that they posted that one of their customers sold to another one of their customers.

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ben said $22,000 but I am not sure that includes the actual Cannon barrel (non-firing or firing) or not. You can check their website and/or call Ben and inquire about the price. However, I would imagine you will have to order the Cannon barrel for one of the Makers they have links to on their website and have it shipped to the Miller Wagon & Cannon Company in Parrottsville, Tennessee. I have included the link to their website below and hope it is not against the rules. I just met them yesterday, do not work for them or have a financial connection to them but sure wish that I had known about their company sooner. If you purchase one or two, please make sure you post pics here on Treasure Net, so that we can see what you ordered and drool some more.:laughing7:

Miller Wagon & Cannon Company

Frank

Edited: I checked some prices on their website and based on everything else, that may include the price of a non-firing Cannon. Also, check out this beauty Miller Wagon & Cannon Company that they posted that one of their customers sold to another one of their customers.

I would have guessed closer to 50k.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have guessed closer to 50k.

That is what I had also guessed until I asked Ben. $22,000 seems awfully cheap for such a quality product they build. They fabricate all of the parts for the Cannon Carriages, Limbers, Ammo Chests (Boxes) and any Wagons themselves with the exception of the threaded solid Brass mount for the Elevation Screw and some of the Pins for the Chains on each side of the Cannon Carriage.

Frank

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have guessed around $5,000. There's only like three moving parts and I recently saw a 1908 1.65" Hotchkiss breech loader for around $20,000. I still like them muzzle loaders. :tongue3:

That would be nice but these are all hand-crafted by Ben and his' wife and I believe their' son to the original specs as they have the original prints and drawings. Everything on the Cannon Carriages and Limbers are made from wood and Iron with the exception of the Elevation Screw mount which is Brass and they fabricate 90% of the Iron pieces needed themselves. Can you imagine the amount of work and hours that goes into building these??!! I am sure that if you actually got to see one up close and personal as I have, you would change your mind about the $5,000 price!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions